Hardware Boost

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
nmeau

Hardware Boost

Post by nmeau » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:35 am

Hello all - I've had a look thorugh the forum for some ideas on how to boost my hardware for faster rendering times. The PC is new but fairly basic - i7-6700 with 16GB Ram. What do you guys think my bet option would be - boosting RAM further or a suitable graphics card?

My current project (representing hundreds of hrs of work) doesn't render well on the latest V4 Open CL (glossy transparent isn't quite there yet) and plain Bidirectional path is yielding the best results. In the future I expect to use a variety of rendering modes.

Thanks for your expertise folks.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Hardware Boost

Post by Oscar J » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:44 am

More RAM will do nothing about your render times. For CPU rendering, it's all about your CPU. Yours seems to be plenty enough for most scenes though - could you describe a little more about what you're trying to render?

Glossy Transparent is supposed to work fine in OpenCL. What GPU do you use? GTX 980Ti or a GTX 1070 (or two) would be pretty ideal for GPU rendering.

Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Originalplan® » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:48 am

Hey nmeau.
I'm no expert...but if you have limited amount of *Gill to spend.
Then go with a better GPU for your system it's more future proof since everything moves towards that.

nmeau

Post by nmeau » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks guys.

My PC only has the integrated Intel HD 530 card, so I'll take your advice and invest in a GTX card. Hopefully that should crank thinks up a bit.

Tjena Oscar - the Open CL simply doesn't work with my glossy transparent, not sure why. The scene as a very complex interior of a historic ballroom (was demolished in the 80s) with hundreds of lights and neon tubes. It all works well except for the main chandelier light, which has a glossy transparent surface lit from the inside... Colours are way out, light doesn't get throug. Works well on bi-directional though..

Cheers

Magnus

4 posts • Page 1 of 1