Rotation vs scale

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
neo0.

Rotation vs scale

Post by neo0. » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:17 pm

Hi, I trie to look this up in the manual but there wasn't an explanation of it, so which one is rotation and which one is scale? It would be nice if indigo had an auto uv feature. ;) Just saying.

dakiru
Indigo 100

Re: Rotation vs scale

Post by dakiru » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:10 am

neo0. wrote:Hi, I trie to look this up in the manual but there wasn't an explanation of it, so which one is rotation and which one is scale? It would be nice if indigo had an auto uv feature. ;) Just saying.
2x2 matrix?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:57 pm

dakiru wrote:
neo0. wrote:Hi, I trie to look this up in the manual but there wasn't an explanation of it, so which one is rotation and which one is scale? It would be nice if indigo had an auto uv feature. ;) Just saying.
2x2 matrix?
Illegitimate into an UI !
IIRC scale are top-right and bottom-left values (together for uniform scaling), rotation is above my head to explain, you need sin and cos calculations lol.
obsolete asset

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:15 pm

Rotation 90 degrees is of course:

0 -1

1 0

180 degrees:

-1 0

0 -1

270 degrees:

0 1

-1 0

For all other angles it's

cos (α) -sin (α)

sin(α) cos(α)

But it is of course not very intuitive, especially if your knowledge in linear algebra is a bit rusty. I quite like the advanced mode checkbox for HDRI's, would be great to have the same option here.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:00 am

I hope we get some nice, clear controls for 4.0!

snorky
Indigo 100

Post by snorky » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:10 pm

neo0. wrote:I hope we get some nice, clear controls for 4.0!
Oscar J wrote:But it is of course not very intuitive, especially if your knowledge in linear algebra is a bit rusty. I quite like the advanced mode checkbox for HDRI's, would be great to have the same option here.
:mrgreen:

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:58 pm

Hope to also see an option to scale textures uniformly (e.g. scaling the diffuse also bumps up the specular or something). Thoughts?

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:49 pm

That's probably better to handle with material nodes when/if that comes to Indigo.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:39 am

I still heave no idea why people want to do such changes inside Indigo GUI!?
My 3D Project inside my 3D app is my main sourcefile, all changes and alterations should be inside that file,
I work on and with that file until the Project is finalized, and if a customer wants some changes I open this files to do these.

I understand that some quick material changes inside the GUI are awesome to test parameters,like for example bump strength or IOR of a material. If I found something good, I port it back to my sourcefile, but changing the scale and rotation of textures?? This is something that should be doable within the Viewport of every 3D app!

Or am I the freak here with that workflow???
polygonmanufaktur.de

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:36 am

I agree, UV mapping belongs in the 3D app. I believe this has been discussed many times already? Sure, in some rare cases you might want to rotate/scale a texture quickly but even if we had a better tool for that it'd become obsolete when we get tighter 3D app integration.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:15 am

Oscar J wrote:I agree, UV mapping belongs in the 3D app. I believe this has been discussed many times already? Sure, in some rare cases you might want to rotate/scale a texture quickly but even if we had a better tool for that it'd become obsolete when we get tighter 3D app integration.
That is exactly my point, such discussions about features that cost dev time, clutter the GUI and only get used my a fragment of the userbase even once seem to come out of some deep trollcave that somehow is impossible to close :roll:
polygonmanufaktur.de

Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Originalplan® » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:18 am

Zom-B wrote:
Nope. Having the same here.

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:24 am

Zom-B wrote:I still heave no idea why people want to do such changes inside Indigo GUI!?
My 3D Project inside my 3D app is my main sourcefile, all changes and alterations should be inside that file,
I work on and with that file until the Project is finalized, and if a customer wants some changes I open this files to do these.

I understand that some quick material changes inside the GUI are awesome to test parameters,like for example bump strength or IOR of a material. If I found something good, I port it back to my sourcefile, but changing the scale and rotation of textures?? This is something that should be doable within the Viewport of every 3D app!

Not a freak, same here. Source(app)->Indigo. Everything is set inside. Using Indigo for what should be done inside app, such as UV-ing, seems insane. I just wish exporters were integrated more. :D

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:16 am

soooooo can we finally close that cave once and for all instead of throwing food inside, these discussions get boring and tedious...
polygonmanufaktur.de

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Zom-B wrote: ... Or am I the freak here with that workflow???
Trying to do it the same way - appropriate tools for specific objectives.

20 posts