Graphical User Interface playaround

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
thesquirell

Re: Graphical User Interface playaround

Post by thesquirell » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:18 am

So, it appears that Indigo inherits those characteristics from the windows color style itself, and I can't find a way to change it. If someone figures it out, it would be amazing! Only thing left is to change the troublesome white/lightgray areas in the picture. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Attachments
question.jpg

benn

Post by benn » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:58 pm

That's so awesome! Maybe nick or yves/thomas can weigh in with some help on how to customise more things. It might even be possible for them to post the source code to the qt designer files (not the indigo source, just the user interface layout), so that then you'd see how everything is put together.

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:46 pm

Oh Benn, it would great, hoping they will read what you just wrote! It was your file from Jan 26, 2010 which I downloaded in the hopes of finding excatly that out, but alas! Those codes are such a beautiful thing to work with, and one can learn them in a matter of days. But the problem kicks in when elements such as these pop out, which you can't just nail down. After running out of ideas (not QGroupBox, QGroupButton etc.) I went literally from classes starting with A to C, trying them all out, with no success. Even when I try nailing it's class in general with QWidget { border: 3px solid red;} it's not framing it. So, it could be targeted specifically in some other file/line, for which I would need their object names, and I even tried guessing them, but sadly without any luck! Great thing to see you back again! (P.S played your virtual gallery, looks awesome!)

benn

Post by benn » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:15 am

We could encourage Glare to opensource the user interface but keep the renderer closed source. ;)

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:32 am

Nice stuff on the theme thesquirell,
We'll look into how to theme those last material parameter controls.

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:06 pm

Benn, that would be so amazing because that way everyone could adapt it to their own style, and need, without having to worry about the style of the OS. Actually, it would be amazing if Indigo could get that universal feel across all platforms, but still be able to adapt to user.

Thank you very much Ono! The things I couldn't achieve through theme.css itself, I cheated through Windows style. And by those things I mean texture editor screen, dialogue windows, option windows etc. I am pleased with Indigo look now, but it would give me far more pleasure to know that everyone could see it like that, without the need to cheat through OS appearance. Also big thanks for looking at it, I know you guys are probably busy with much more needed/important stuff than this. But if it somehow endangers the renderer itself, and exposes it to the others in any way, please ignore it. I love what you do here, and Indigo way better then some fancy UI! :)

benn

Post by benn » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:23 pm

I'd love to do a UI that looks like the preview app on os x.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 12.22.38 pm.png

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Yes benn, yes. That.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:37 pm

Yes, that would be really nice!

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:15 am

thesquirell wrote:Benn, that would be so amazing because that way everyone could adapt it to their own style, and need, without having to worry about the style of the OS. Actually, it would be amazing if Indigo could get that universal feel across all platforms, but still be able to adapt to user.

Thank you very much Ono! The things I couldn't achieve through theme.css itself, I cheated through Windows style. And by those things I mean texture editor screen, dialogue windows, option windows etc. I am pleased with Indigo look now, but it would give me far more pleasure to know that everyone could see it like that, without the need to cheat through OS appearance. Also big thanks for looking at it, I know you guys are probably busy with much more needed/important stuff than this. But if it somehow endangers the renderer itself, and exposes it to the others in any way, please ignore it. I love what you do here, and Indigo way better then some fancy UI! :)
Among the first things I look at when considering new applications, are screenshots of its UI. That being said, Indigos UI is by no means bad, quite the opposite: it's fairly intuitive and it isn't cluttered with settings because of its simplistic nature and layout.

Having that said, new buttons design such as the ZomB/squirrel ones, as well as a dark theme option/standard (which gives your renders more focus), would probably make the application look more attractive to potential customers. Seeing that these things can be done with relatively little effort, it's a pretty great way to improve indigo.

I have a small suggestion, please see my shoddy PS experiment. You change between Imaging, Render Settings and Light Layers so damn often, that it'd make much more sense having these as tabs - saving a few seconds every time would quickly add up to hours.
Attachments
tabs.jpg

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:03 am

huge +1 for tabs!

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:34 am

Def +1 great idea :!:

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:19 am

thesquirell wrote:So, it appears that Indigo inherits those characteristics from the windows color style itself, and I can't find a way to change it. If someone figures it out, it would be amazing! Only thing left is to change the troublesome white/lightgray areas in the picture. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Nice to see someone else having a go at the theme files - I attempted this a while back and it largely went unnoticed around here.. Those white bits troubled me as well! :P

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=11795

thesquirell

Post by thesquirell » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:53 am

They are a nag, aren't they?! I see that you were using Placebo theme for windows? Try out the black market, it will go much better with your skin, will fix your dialog boxes issue, until we find a way to code it from .css file! :D

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:07 am

Damn - well spotted... The Black Market theme was too dark for me - I am actually using Glass Onion right now and my theme for Indigo to match 3dsMax colours.

The white bits I got around by leaving the entire Properties, Render Settings etc menus in its default colours because - as I mentioned in that thread - the lettering got a bit strange when changing to a darker colour.

Following with interest though. :o

30 posts