Indigo's new pure GPU rendering.

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
bubs
2nd Place Winner

Re: Indigo's new pure GPU rendering.

Post by bubs » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:48 am

Zom-B wrote:A waste of money as long as no release is available if you ask me
There's me jumping the gun again! :lol:
Attachments
jump-the-gun.jpeg

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:49 am

I'll rephrase - Damn... gonna have to save me some money now... to spend later :mrgreen:

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:49 am

Zom-B wrote:Nice to see you hanging out here Suv :)
Animations are already possible: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=13085
Hey, wassup? :)
I'm still browsing the forum from time to time. Haven't used Indigo for a long time though. Max support is not that good :lol: (j/k)

Really nice animations Zom-B.
Indigo is ok for this kind of work I guess, but if we talk about character animation that includes compositing and editing in post, then denoising is not a very good solution.

Suv

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:28 pm

suvakas wrote:Indigo is ok for this kind of work I guess, but if we talk about character animation that includes compositing and editing in post, then denoising is not a very good solution.
Even here I think you are wrong :)

I know its a little off-topic, but this needs to be said:

Check the attached images for a super extreme example!
For a animation without uniform areas, you need to place a plane into the scene, big enough for the denoiser to analyze the noise pattern (mucho importante!)
With that information you can denoise the scene quite easy :)
original.jpg
noise.jpg
denoised.jpg

But Back to the topic:

Regarding render power I just imagine to invest 6 x 110€ for 6 such 750ti cards (2 for each computer).
So I would reach over 48million samples per Second, versus only 3,6million without the GPUs!!!

Quite a nice gain for 660€ invested :lol:

My only concern is the need for VRAM and big (resolution) renderings :/
polygonmanufaktur.de

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 pm

That denoiser doesn't cut it when the noise makes different pattens in the image. Such as that nasty checkerboard pattern.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:55 am

Oscar J wrote:That denoiser doesn't cut it when the noise makes different pattens in the image. Such as that nasty checkerboard pattern.
It actually does! A temporal Denoiser detects differences between multiple (here 5) frames, and distinguishes between motion, and noise! Motion has usually a direction, while noise is random...
polygonmanufaktur.de

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:14 am

... And it is far better to have ramdom noise in your animations than still noise, believe me. Non-moving noise is really annoying for the eye.
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:31 am

Zom-B wrote:
Oscar J wrote:That denoiser doesn't cut it when the noise makes different pattens in the image. Such as that nasty checkerboard pattern.
It actually does! A temporal Denoiser detects differences between multiple (here 5) frames, and distinguishes between motion, and noise! Motion has usually a direction, while noise is random...
Ah, you didn't quite understand me. I've already tried Neat Video for an animation, and it works fine for as long as the whole frame has the same noise pattern. But sometimes there are different noise patterns in the image. Look at my attached example (raw render):
koenigsegg film rear0115.jpg
The tires have one noise pattern (the checkerboard pattern), the car paint one and the headlight housing has one. Neat Video didn't work well on this particular animation. This is what it looked after applying the noise filter.
After.jpg
Notice how the car paint got fairly clean (because that's where I told Neat Video to sample the noise pattern), while the tires and glass areas are still noisy.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:49 am

Oscar J wrote:Notice how the car paint got fairly clean (because that's where I told Neat Video to sample the noise pattern), while the tires and glass areas are still noisy.
And therefor you do a render with a white plane inside the scene to have a great area for the denoiser to "learn"!
I usually set the Temporal Filter Threshold to 250, the in the filter settings I raise everything to full power and only set the "Noise reduction ammount: Y" to zero, null, nada :)

By doing so, you set very heavy denoising, but only temporal! Give it a try :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:53 am

I'm pretty sure it still won't remove the checkerboard patterns, because that only show up in some areas and not on a white plane for example. It won't recognise the checkerboard pattern because it didn't learn it from the sample plane, and then it won't remove the noise. I think Thomas said though, that he was working on removing the checkerboard pattern we sometimes get using path tracing or Bidir pathtracing. Looking forward to that, will make it much easier to finish this animation project.

Thanks for the tips though, will try those settings.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:04 am

Oscar J wrote:I'm pretty sure it still won't remove the checkerboard patterns...
Trust me, I spent docents of hours doing trial & error with denoising of animations!
Pushing temporal denoising this much, NeatVideo even kills such block noise as long as it is not static on the frames :)

In your case I would push the plane for the "noise test render" slightly out of the focus, so it "catches the DOF noise.

Never-less this boxnoise is still nasty, and I'm happy that Glare seems to focus on fixing that: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 48#p127948
polygonmanufaktur.de

fourzeronine

Post by fourzeronine » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:11 pm

Looks like i'm buying me an APU farm in the near future... ;-)

ak-sam

Post by ak-sam » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Sure glad I didn't invest in learning biased rendering :lol:

Question: Can this utilise multi-gpu cards like the gtx690. Can it use SLI/Crossfire? How many Teslas can I power from a single phase 240v socket?
Skindigo on 1x 6950x, 1x3970x, 6x3930k, 2x4930k, 3x5930k

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:47 pm

This is fantastic news! Wish I had time to play with it :/

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:51 pm

StompinTom wrote:This is fantastic news! Wish I had time to play with it :/
Its only an announcement for some (far?!?) future feature, no beta builds available...
polygonmanufaktur.de

45 posts