Creative flair rendering style....

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
maeglin1

Creative flair rendering style....

Post by maeglin1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:23 pm

I was looking at architectural visualization jobs on the web recently and some companies were specifically asking for portfolios that were MORE SKETCHY & EXPRESSIVE & LESS PHOTOGRAPHIC. It seems that most people are producing fantastic photo realistic stuff. I want to create a portfolio that is more expressive (since I have a Fine Art and illustration (marker pen) background).

Is it therefore possible to create final images that look more spontaneous?
Is this the realm of Photoshop and NOT render software?
Must you use combinations of stuff?
Can anyone direct me on this or have samples?

I am new to Indigo and love it. But since most people do realistic stuff I want to create a unique style that
seems more dramatic and hands on.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Creative flair rendering style....

Post by Zom-B » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:19 am

Since this is not Indigo related, that thread would fit very well in the off-topic area of the Forum :wink:

But to answer your question:

There is something like Sketch & Toon for C4D that is quite powerful:
Here some examples done with that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZSNVUDA5v0

There is also a free render engine called Freestyle, check out the Gallery: http://freestyle.sourceforge.net/GALLERY/dirindex.php
There is a Blender integration for it, and maybe also for other 3D apps

there are maybe even more render engines, but this are the only two I know of...
polygonmanufaktur.de

maeglin1

Post by maeglin1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:59 am

Zom-B wrote:Since this is not Indigo related, that thread would fit very well in the off-topic area of the Forum :wink:

But to answer your question:

There is something like Sketch & Toon for C4D that is quite powerful:
Here some examples done with that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZSNVUDA5v0

There is also a free render engine called Freestyle, check out the Gallery: http://freestyle.sourceforge.net/GALLERY/dirindex.php
There is a Blender integration for it, and maybe also for other 3D apps

there are maybe even more render engines, but this are the only two I know of...
Thanks for the reply. I will check them out.

I noticed you use C4D on your bio. Why this instead of 3D Max? At some point I know I am going to have to train myself in something more complex. I know I mentioned it before, but I like the way you did the Kitchen 2015 video. It's perfect for showing clients how things work. Because of the insecurity in this country I am thinking of specializing in "Secret Rooms"... like the movie: Panic Room with Jodie Foster. Doing something like (your video) would be great at showing how doors and mechanisms work. I also liked the simplicity of the scene and the beautiful flow between shots. And the monochrome look.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:56 pm

maeglin1 wrote:I noticed you use C4D on your bio. Why this instead of 3D Max?
I learned to work with C4D back in "Design School", sticked to it until it was too late -.-'
I often thought about switching to Blender, since I never encountered any interest of clients what software I work with as long as the result looks good ;)
My laziness to learn new software and the awesome C4D exporter for Indigo just hold me back, since I already know C4D very well, and achiving this amount of knowledge in Blender would cost a lot of my time...
No offense against C4D, but since I own a lifetime license for Indigo the internal rendering is less interesting, and Blender is waaaay cheaper ;)
maeglin1 wrote:... I like the way you did the Kitchen 2015 video. It's perfect for showing clients how things work. Because of the insecurity in this country I am thinking of specializing in "Secret Rooms"... like the movie: Panic Room with Jodie Foster. Doing something like (your video) would be great at showing how doors and mechanisms work. I also liked the simplicity of the scene and the beautiful flow between shots. And the monochrome look.
Animation is maybe not the strong part of Sketchup, but the stuff I usually do is very objekt and camera focused and no real task for any 3D app that does animation. Same for the visual style, its super simple AO based with fresnel for reflections and color tinting. Every 3D app with a own render engine should be able to do that...
polygonmanufaktur.de

Jeff Hammond
Indigo 100

Post by Jeff Hammond » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:15 pm

maeglin1 wrote:I was looking at architectural visualization jobs on the web recently and some companies were specifically asking for portfolios that were MORE SKETCHY & EXPRESSIVE & LESS PHOTOGRAPHIC. It seems that most people are producing fantastic photo realistic stuff. I want to create a portfolio that is more expressive (since I have a Fine Art and illustration (marker pen) background).
[...]
But since most people do realistic stuff I want to create a unique style that
seems more dramatic and hands on.
use marker pens?

i mean, if you already have those type of skills, no reason you shouldn't apply them to archViz

especially if you're looking to create unique/hands on styles.

maeglin1

Post by maeglin1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:08 pm

This was created using the program Painter IX, by Zhuzhu.

I really like the immediate and spontaneous style.
I want to do sketches like this initially and then finish with a perfect render in Indigo.
Attachments
by zhuzhu (using Paiter IX).jpg

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:41 am

Gorgeous !
obsolete asset

Jeff Hammond
Indigo 100

Post by Jeff Hammond » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:12 pm

those look really nice :thumbs up:

maeglin1

Post by maeglin1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:50 pm

My avatar is a painting (Oil). I hope to combine Indigo with Fine Art somehow. Indigo software is doing all the work. Yes, you tweak buttons and talk shop.... and get realistic results.... but that's dull. You have to bring something of yourself to the genre. Something new. Eventually the renders will get soooo good that it will be done with one click....like a digital camera.... but where's the art in that :(

I could be wrong....but hope I'm right 8)

yonosoy

Post by yonosoy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:30 am

maeglin1 wrote:... it will be done with one click....like a digital camera.... but where's the art in that :(
Is the theme that lead you to do "click".
An artist say the true eluding the censure. Every expressive medium is able to handle this principle.
In others words an excellent painter could not be more than this without theme to paint.
An example:
pRoPHet >> a poet is a prophet "without new to communicate", sings because "He can" (and probably he likes this way).

DemosCratia > "the sacred to the people".
"... nor 0.2 galaxys, nor 0.8 little chikens ..."

maeglin1

Post by maeglin1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:41 am

yonosoy wrote:
maeglin1 wrote:... it will be done with one click....like a digital camera.... but where's the art in that :(
Is the theme that lead you to do "click".
An artist say the true eluding the censure. Every expressive medium is able to handle this principle.
In others words an excellent painter could not be more than this without theme to paint.
An example:
pRoPHet >> a poet is a prophet "without new to communicate", sings because "He can" (and probably he likes this way).

DemosCratia > "the sacred to the people".
I found it hard understanding your English... but I agree with the last line...."sings because he can".
I feel most creative people find it hard to do a 9 to 5 job because their brains are wired differently. You are always asking "What if I do this!" or "What if I do that!".... thinking outside the boundaries they are given. And everyone is doing this with rendering....What if I increase the aperture? What if I increase the white light? Always questioning. So, yes, an artist is an artist whatever he or she does so long as you are asking questions :D

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:43 am

maeglin1 wrote:Eventually the renders will get soooo good that it will be done with one click....like a digital camera.... but where's the art in that :(
The Art is the idea, the concept, the choice of visual language and composition of the image.
How can you say that Photographers are no Artists at all, they also just click on a digital camera :roll:

It would really help to see the Viz business also as a craftsmanship rather then a fancy artist job.
On my Projects I invest 90% of my time in crafting things and setting them up, the 10% are for creativity. I'm 10% a Artist, no a bit more!!
polygonmanufaktur.de

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:14 am

Zom-B wrote:
maeglin1 wrote:Eventually the renders will get soooo good that it will be done with one click....like a digital camera.... but where's the art in that :(
The Art is the idea, the concept, the choice of visual language and composition of the image.
How can you say that Photographers are no Artists at all, they also just click on a digital camera :roll:

It would really help to see the Viz business also as a craftsmanship rather then a fancy artist job.
On my Projects I invest 90% of my time in crafting things and setting them up, the 10% are for creativity. I'm 10% a Artist, no a bit more!!
Exactly, the craft is in the modeling, texturing, lighting, setup, etc. that lets you construct something completely fictional.

maeglin1

Post by maeglin1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:52 am

StompinTom wrote:
Zom-B wrote:

Exactly, the craft is in the modeling, texturing, lighting, setup, etc. that lets you construct something completely fictional.
Good point. When is the next Indigo competition? Does anyone know?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:02 am

maeglin1 wrote:Good point. When is the next Indigo competition? Does anyone know?
It ends on Friday ;)
polygonmanufaktur.de

23 posts