Best hardware for Indigo, i5 vs i7, Quadro vs. GTX

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Silmä
2nd Place Winner

Best hardware for Indigo, i5 vs i7, Quadro vs. GTX

Post by Silmä » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm currently looking for a new computer for personal use and asked for an offer from a local hardware store. Their offer included i5-4670K and Quadro 2000 (1 Gb), which stroke me as quite odd. Of course I told them I use my computer for architectural CAD work which would explain the Quadro (though I've heard it's not much use compared to gaming cards outside of some simulation work, which I don't do), but somehow I feel I could get more bang for buck with a different combination of CPU and GPU, namely i7-4770K and GTX770 (2Gb).

Am I wrong or is there some other, better combinations at similar overall price point? And more generally, what kind of combinations tend to work best?

Polinalkrimizei

Re: Best hardware for Indigo, i5 vs i7, Quadro vs. GTX

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:08 am

Hey Silmä, sorry for the late reply!

In general, you're completely right, and the local hardware store is wrong. A recent, overclockable i7 will most probably be the most bang for the buck and is the most important part of your new Indigo system.
Don't get a quadro, for 99,99% of the applications it's probably overpriced bullshit. I'm pretty sure Indigo is not specifically designed for it.
Just get a fast i7, 16 gigs of RAM (cheaper than you will think and future-proof), and choose the graphics card according to your remaining budget.
Personal hint: the 256gb samsung SSD was the best hardware upgrade I ever had. couldn't live without one.

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Mor4us » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Polinalkrimizei wrote:Hey Silmä, sorry for the late reply!

In general, you're completely right, and the local hardware store is wrong. A recent, overclockable i7 will most probably be the most bang for the buck and is the most important part of your new Indigo system.
Don't get a quadro, for 99,99% of the applications it's probably overpriced bullshit. I'm pretty sure Indigo is not specifically designed for it.
Just get a fast i7, 16 gigs of RAM (cheaper than you will think and future-proof), and choose the graphics card according to your remaining budget.
Personal hint: the 256gb samsung SSD was the best hardware upgrade I ever had. couldn't live without one.
+1 absolutely agree
C4D R20 Studio
mad-imagery.com

Silmä
2nd Place Winner

Post by Silmä » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks for the reply and confirming what I thought. The offer I asked for already included lots of ram and an SSD, so I should be good there, too.

Only difference is that I'm not really comfortable with overclocking, so I guess I'll have to simply settle for a fast i7.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1