GPU Acceleration - Utilize two CUDA cards?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
sking

GPU Acceleration - Utilize two CUDA cards?

Post by sking » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi Guys,

With GPU acceleration,can indigo utilise more than one dedicated GPU card at the same time? I have a render machine with a tesla C2075 (CUDA) and was wondering if could add a second CUDA card into a empty slot in the machine would be beneficial or not and if inidgo would use both?

Thanks,

Simon

lycium

Re: GPU Acceleration - Utilize two CUDA cards?

Post by lycium » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi Simon, Indigo currently doesn't support more than one GPU for acceleration at a time, mostly because even a single GPU is enough to keep most CPUs busy - the others would be idling most of the time anyway.

This is due to the way Indigo's GPU acceleration currently works, where the CPU and GPU work hand in hand, allowing for full feature support and a tight integration with the normal rendering core.

Indigo's GPU acceleration will be improved in future to remove these limitations and support multiple GPUs.

sking

Post by sking » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Thanks Lycium for your response - much appreciated... i kind of thought as much but just wanted to check... possibility sounds good for the future though!

sking

Post by sking » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi Lycium,

Just a quick question, are there any plans to support multiple GPUs any time soon...i know the answer is probably no :) due to the points you raised last time but my firm just wanted to check again to see if would be beneficial or not.

Thanks,

Simon

Juju

Post by Juju » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:35 am

GPU acceleration is of limited use in terms of types of renders at the moment, I'd rather see development in this area before expanding capabilities to support multiple GPU's.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:26 am

sking wrote:are there any plans to support multiple GPUs any time soon...i know the answer is probably no :) due to the points you raised last time
Multiple GPU boards support has always been a target that Indigo did not reach yet.
lycium wrote:Indigo's GPU acceleration will be improved in future to remove these limitations and support multiple GPUs.
I think I've read OnoSendai on refactoring the application somewhat, I don't know what this may imply beyond the framebuffers concerns...
obsolete asset

6 posts • Page 1 of 1