Networking Question

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
FakeShamus

Networking Question

Post by FakeShamus » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:39 am

I've got 2 Mac Pro's that I'm trying to get to run Indigo as a networked render. when I have them plugged into the same local network Indigo is able to connect easily and the network render works, but if I connect the machines directly through their ethernet ports (instead of through a router) Indigo doesn't seem to be able to connect. file sharing and other network capabilities work as expected between the 2 machines, but Indigo just doesn't like the situation. is there any way to make this configuration work? are there some settings that I have to tweak?

Headroom
Indigo 100

Networking Question

Post by Headroom » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for this particular problem. But when reading through it it occurred to me that there really should be no reason for Indigo not to employ Apples implementation of ZeroConf technology named Bonjour.

The indigo Server simple announces/ registers its service on the Network and the clients would be able to detect it and use the Server. Many printers come enabled with this today and it really makes connecting to and using of services easier. No network configuration necessary!

I utilized Bonjour on an Arduino micro controller project by using functions of a library. This enabled me to use an iPhone as a remote control for a device I built, without having to perform any network configuration.

Surely if a relative programming hobbyist can get this to work on a home project it should not be too difficult to implement by professional programmers. I believe Bonjour is also available for Windows and I'd be surprised if there would be no Implementation of it that work on Linux.

Just some food for thought ;-)
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

galinette
1st Place Winner

Re: Networking Question

Post by galinette » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:13 pm

FakeShamus wrote:I've got 2 Mac Pro's that I'm trying to get to run Indigo as a networked render. when I have them plugged into the same local network Indigo is able to connect easily and the network render works, but if I connect the machines directly through their ethernet ports (instead of through a router) Indigo doesn't seem to be able to connect. file sharing and other network capabilities work as expected between the 2 machines, but Indigo just doesn't like the situation. is there any way to make this configuration work? are there some settings that I have to tweak?
Did you try to explicitely give the IP adress of the master to the slaves as a command line parameter? It is something like indigo.exe -n s -h xx.xx.xx.xx on PC, should be similar on mac

This may be a TCPIP configuration issue when you directly plug the two macs together (network mask, gateway and broadcast settings)
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:23 pm

On PC, solution would be to start a test network render, look at the port which Indigo is listening on, and then on the slave computer, change the port on the Indigo Network Slave program to match the master.

It should be something like xxx.xxx.x.x (LAN IP): 7777 or 7100.

Mac might be similar.

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:51 pm

galinette wrote: Did you try to explicitely give the IP adress of the master to the slaves as a command line parameter? It is something like indigo.exe -n s -h xx.xx.xx.xx on PC, should be similar on mac
I haven't tried the console command like that, I was just launching the network slave client app. I will give this a shot. I kind of knew that it had to do with the port or ip address but I didn't know how to configure this in Indigo. It would actually be a logical thing to build into the network slave app, an option to configure these things manually if needed. Thanks for the tips.

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:51 am

I got this working, using the -n s -h xx.xx.xx.xx (the specific ip of the master computer) command line on the slave. thanks a bunch for the help!

6 posts • Page 1 of 1