New computer or new GPU?

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
vl_dm

New computer or new GPU?

Post by vl_dm » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:30 am

Hello,

I want to buy new hardware. Should it be a network computer or a new GPU. May I ask does Indigo support the new Kepler architecture of the Nvidias - the 6xx models. And how much cpu threads supports. Is it any limit for the cpu cores used on the master and slaves both.
Because the new gtx690 costs as 2 computers, if we can expect bidirectional PT on GPU I think it is worth waiting.

thank you,

Vlado

lycium

Re: New computer or new GPU?

Post by lycium » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:27 am

Hi Vlado,

I'd suggest getting another computer and making it a render node, since another computer is always useful (even when you're not using it for Indigo) and you have the free node licences. There is no limit on the number of CPU cores that can be used by Indigo masters or slaves.

Kepler archs are supported, however the 5xx series are better for GPU compute. I suggest avoiding the current Kepler cards, at least until the "big Kepler" (GK110) chip is released. Apparently it's due in September. The other thing is that right now, because the CPU bottlenecks the GPU most of the time, multi-GPU isn't supported.

Indigo currently targets the CPU primarily, and its bidirectional path tracing is already quite efficient, so although we're committed to GPU acceleration going forward, you'll still have a very good rendering platform with two computers.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:53 am

lycium wrote:I'd suggest getting another computer and making it a render node, since another computer is always useful (even when you're not using it for Indigo) and you have the free node licences.
Of course, only if you own Indigo Renderer. Indigo RT does not do network rendering.

lycium

Post by lycium » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:01 am

Ahh of course, good catch :)

vl_dm

Post by vl_dm » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:28 am

Thanks

5 posts • Page 1 of 1