Sun through window problem

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
richyrich33

Post by richyrich33 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 am

Hi there,

Just having this problem with my windows, below are two examples. One is the original window as a component with exit portal on the outside and the other exploded component window with exit portal on the outside. For some reason the component window has the outer frame missing while the one I exploded works fine (I believe). Does anyone know why this may be happening??

O within the component window the smaller frames are components too. I've attached an image out of sketchup too

Cheers
Attachments
3.jpg
Component Window in Sketchup
2.png
Exploded Window
1.png
Component Window

lycium

Re: Sun through window problem

Post by lycium » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:19 am

Hi, please check out the manual page on physically correct glass modelling: http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... ling-glass

richyrich33

Post by richyrich33 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Will do, cheers

lycium

Post by lycium » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Hope it helps, if you encounter any problems please let us know!

richyrich33

Post by richyrich33 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:45 am

Cheers,

Yeah I noticed that some other windows that I had developed from this original window component were working fine (without the framing missing). In the end I rejiged these windows to have the exit portal protruding through the surfaces they were touching and made the glass double sided and protruding through surface as described in that manual on physically correct glass modelling. I then copied one of them, made unique and configured to suit the ones causing the problems and wala, no problems. Just jigging the materials now as I believe they are cauing some 'fire fly' problems as shown in the attached image. I also need to get the lights working a bit better ( maybe lowering in places, having more of them..?). Currently they are 1000w lights using IES file from http://www.lithonia.com/Photometrics.aspx?Fid=72612

After changing materials and resending to indigo I am getting this error message:

Error: Scene parsing error: failed to load XML doc from path 'C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Roaming/Indigo Renderer/default.igs': Error reading end tag. (Line 583, column 13.)

After rending another post (http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 17&t=10984) I guess it is one of the materials I imported, will hunt out the culprit when I get the chance...

Thanks again
Attachments
TEST 5.jpg
Test Image of Environment

richyrich33

Post by richyrich33 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:51 am

O is there a way to determine what material will be causing the problems or is it best to go through them all manually??

Cheers

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:24 pm

there is a good chance that the glass material is you are using has some cauchy b value, or is quite complex.
For windows like these simply use a transparent specular material with ior of 1.52, done. Even better to simply remove any glass windows from the scene, since you can't see them anyway ;)

Finally you should know that EPs and sun doesn't work together. the noisy part f the image is the sun area beeing calculated...

The black collor of the "street" of your scene seems to be fully black... therefor it doesn't reflect ANY light and will stay black... raise the RGB value a little!

A good idea is to also study the materials from the Mat DB, so you get to know them and can create own materials in the future by understanding them!
polygonmanufaktur.de

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:41 am

Zom-B wrote:there is a good chance that the glass material is you are using has some cauchy b value, or is quite complex.
For windows like these simply use a transparent specular material with ior of 1.52, done. Even better to simply remove any glass windows from the scene, since you can't see them anyway ;)

Finally you should know that EPs and sun doesn't work together. the noisy part f the image is the sun area beeing calculated...

The black collor of the "street" of your scene seems to be fully black... therefor it doesn't reflect ANY light and will stay black... raise the RGB value a little!

A good idea is to also study the materials from the Mat DB, so you get to know them and can create own materials in the future by understanding them!
Exit Portals and Sun work together quite well if you use BIDIR. Just don't use Pathracing as the render mode! That goes for GPU supported PT as well as for Non- GPU supported PT.

I've stopped counting how often I have advised newcomers on the forum not to use PT for interior scenes that are being lit by direct Sunlight. I guess the big attraction Is the GPU support that in most render engines only supports Path Tracing. It just is not the best render mode for every scenario!

Try BIDIR for this scene and toss the glass. Unless you expect to see reflections in the glass it really does not add anything and just slows rendering down. If your do feel the need for glass then, for this interior scene use simple glass without tabulated absorption and Cauchy B and turn on glass acceleration.
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

richyrich33

Post by richyrich33 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:39 am

Cheers for your feedback guys. Yeah I think I'll remove the glass planes all together as like you say they aren't a huge part of the scene in terms of reflection etc... Yeah I am slowly learning about materials and how they work too. The previous render had minimal work done to the textures, was just trying to sort out the lighting and windows in the scene. Do you think the best way to create a little outdoor 'setting' as you look through the windows would be to place an image or use an environment map? Or just do away with it all together and black it out in the options?

This is my first interior render scene so a good learning curve for me!

Thanks again

9 posts • Page 1 of 1