Exit Portals

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
BIMDAK

Exit Portals

Post by BIMDAK » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:58 am

Hi all
This image have been rendering on one master and two nodes for seven hours so i thought i`ll try out Exit Portals. But the details around Exit Portals are a bit vauge. What makes an object and exit portal? Is it both an boject with s special kind of material? Does it have to be a 2D plane or can it be a 3D box as well (i am using Revit so creating a 2D plane is a bit of a hassel)

BIM Doctor
Attachments
Messanin.JPG
Looong rendertimes

CTZn

Re: Exit Portals

Post by CTZn » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:47 am

Depending on the exporter you are using, an exit portal is either a mesh with a special definition or with a special material, both are possible.

The standing point with exit portals is that light will flow in the direction of its normals, so using a closed cube would defeat the point: but, you can delete one face of a cube and flatten it some bits so the thin faces are around the exterior borders of your window, entering the wall a little to avoid leaks.

Don't forget to reverse the normals directions of that cube then. I can not guarantee that the lighting is strictly identical in both cases, planar EP's are to be prefered I believe.

You should also know that PT (GPU accelerated or not) has currently troubles to evaluate direct lighting through portals, these should not be used together if direct lighting is expected (use bidirectional PT and/or MLT).

Also try to find a more subtle bump value for the ceiling's bump as extreme values will spread the light more and amplify noise. It's better to set bump starting with low values.
obsolete asset

BIMDAK

Post by BIMDAK » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:57 am

But what parameter of a material makes it an EP?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:45 am

To be honest I don't know that, it's not documented and the Maya exporter is using the other solution (by mesh definition). It's only recently that I stumbled accross such a material definition, I can't remember where that was...

fused could tell for sure.
obsolete asset

Headroom
Indigo 100

Exit Portals

Post by Headroom » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:01 am

Blendigo 2.6.1 still used a matrial definition to export exit portals. In the new Blendigo 3.0.10 for blender 2.5 it is a mesh parameter. Not sure that is the same for the new blending for Blender 2.49.
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

BIMDAK

Post by BIMDAK » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:05 pm

CTZn wrote:To be honest I don't know that, it's not documented and the Maya exporter is using the other solution (by mesh definition). It's only recently that I stumbled accross such a material definition, I can't remember where that was...

So how do we get the attention of fused?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:18 am

BIMDAK wrote:
CTZn wrote:To be honest I don't know that, it's not documented and the Maya exporter is using the other solution (by mesh definition). It's only recently that I stumbled accross such a material definition, I can't remember where that was...

So how do we get the attention of fused?
Most probably by posting in the Indigo for Revit forum, provided that he missed this thread :)
obsolete asset

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:43 am

You have my attention :)

Currently exit portals are not possible with Revit.

I don't know how possible it is to create 2D planes in Revit and also if one could change the normal direction of said plane (for exit portals normals have to point inwards), but I will look into how to make exit portals available in Indigo for Revit.

BIMDAK

Post by BIMDAK » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:02 am

Great:)

9 posts • Page 1 of 1