Best modelling software & exporter combination for Indigo

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Zlaty Lev

Best modelling software & exporter combination for Indigo

Post by Zlaty Lev » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:08 am

When I started with Indigo I used Blender for modelling, because I already had some experience with it.
Now after working some time with it I doubt that it is the best combination with Indigo.
Because of the upcoming change to Blender 2.5 it´s worth to evaluate the change to a new modelling software.
I wonder what is the best combination for Indigo. Which exporter is maintained best and suitable for for professional use?

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Re: Best modelling software & exporter combination for Indig

Post by StompinTom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:17 am

Zlaty Lev wrote:When I started with Indigo I used Blender for modelling, because I already had some experience with it.
Now after working some time with it I doubt that it is the best combination with Indigo.
Because of the upcoming change to Blender 2.5 it´s worth to evaluate the change to a new modelling software.
I wonder what is the best combination for Indigo. Which exporter is maintained best and suitable for for professional use?
What upcoming change to Blender 2.5? Indigo and Blender are very tightly integrated, much better than the previous Blender 2.49 versions. Blendigo is well maintained, quite stable and very much suited for professional use. I started using it for commercial work before it was out of beta, because it was already that reliable.

Zlaty Lev

Post by Zlaty Lev » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:37 am

StompinTom wrote: What upcoming change to Blender 2.5? Indigo and Blender are very tightly integrated, much better than the previous Blender 2.49 versions. Blendigo is well maintained, quite stable and very much suited for professional use. I started using it for commercial work before it was out of beta, because it was already that reliable.
Well I think user interface of Blender 2.5 is different to 2.49. And now is the time to think about a change to a differnt modelling software, because I have to learn the new interface and change my old files to 2.5 anyway.

Once you made this work, you will not change to a new software.
Blendigo is well maintained, quite stable and very much suited for professional use.
I´m not so sure about this. With almost every new release I have to assign my materials of all products in the library new. I don´t know if I should call this professional.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:05 am

Zlaty Lev wrote:
StompinTom wrote: What upcoming change to Blender 2.5? Indigo and Blender are very tightly integrated, much better than the previous Blender 2.49 versions. Blendigo is well maintained, quite stable and very much suited for professional use. I started using it for commercial work before it was out of beta, because it was already that reliable.
Well I think user interface of Blender 2.5 is different to 2.49. And now is the time to think about a change to a differnt modelling software, because I have to learn the new interface and change my old files to 2.5 anyway.

Once you made this work, you will not change to a new software.
Blendigo is well maintained, quite stable and very much suited for professional use.
I´m not so sure about this. With almost every new release I have to assign my materials of all products in the library new. I don´t know if I should call this professional.
Going from 2.49 to 2.5 was a very big change in how the exporter works. Since the whole Python API was rewritten, it's only to be expected that things don't carry over. Doug has an updated exporter for 2.49, too, which means that it's possible to render older scenes with Indigo 3.0. I just started using Blender 2.5 at a certain point when it was stable enough instead of using both and haven't looked back. The UI in 2.5 is much cleaner and sped up once you get used to it. The exporter is much more tightly integrated into the UI, to the degree of other programs.

Anyway, I'm sure there are other software solutions that work very well with Indigo (Cinema4D, Max and SketchUp seem to be the most common ones) but I can only speak from my experience with using Blendigo for professional work.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:21 am

Zlaty Lev wrote:I wonder what is the best combination for Indigo. Which exporter is maintained best and suitable for for professional use?
I'm a C4D user and work with Cindigo since day 1 also contributing to its development with ideas, wishes and discovered bugs.
I have no idea about the other exporters and their integration, but working with Cindigo is a pleasure since it it very well integrated into C4D.
Fused the Cindigo Coder is also a member of the Glare core Team in the UK and also the dev for the Revit Exporter, he reacts quickly to ideas, bugs and wishes of the C4D community so you never need to wait long for updates if new features of Indigo need Exporter support or a showstoper bug appears...
polygonmanufaktur.de

5 posts • Page 1 of 1