Indigo demo at some convention?

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
jim_archviz

Re: Indigo demo at some convention?

Post by jim_archviz » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:09 am

neo0. wrote:EDIT : $80,000 :shock:
Btw, as the keynote was taking place in Wellington, I assume Ben was talking in NZ dollars.
So that'd be about US$56,000 or EUR41,000 at today's rates (still nice).

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Depends how you measure 'best' really, in terms of ease of setup vs. quality results, it probably is, but then if you factor in speed you'll drop a few places.

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Well the thing is indigo might be the best for some but not for others, so the ones making the program cant just go around and say that it is the best... it's up to the users to decided that.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:47 pm

Stromberg wrote:Well the thing is indigo might be the best for some but not for others, so the ones making the program cant just go around and say that it is the best... it's up to the users to decided that.
Did you ever noticed how's, for mammies their baby is always the best looking of the lot? :wink:

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:14 pm

pixie: sure ;)

AzureSky

Post by AzureSky » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Stromberg wrote:Well the thing is indigo might be the best for some but not for others, so the ones making the program cant just go around and say that it is the best... it's up to the users to decided that.
I for one consider Indigo to be the best renderer in the world (in terms of its output.) It can no-doubt be argued that in one stating so it is only a subjective matter, however, objectively, it could be the best as well.

Azure'

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:15 am

Well spotted neo0., I just had a glimpse for now :D

Agreed about the usage of "best" since it happened, it's way too risky in a mutating market imho. And as a rethorical detail, not that relevant. Oops I wasn't asked for my opinion :mrgreen: thanx for popping that one GodZilla.

You don't seem too impressed Ben, congrats :)
obsolete asset

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Indigo Renderer simulates the physics of light so you don't have to

What? :|
samlavoie.xyz

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Godzilla wrote:
jim_archviz wrote:
That said, "top two renderers in the world, the other one being Maxwell"... Come on! Don't push the reality distortion field too much :lol:

Yeah I think you should stop calling Indigo 'The best renderer in the world'.... Just because it is very accurate does not by any means make it the best. An alternative could be 'One of the most realistic renderers in the world'
Agreed. I think that, currently, Indigo produces the most realistic results, but the UI is a bit behind other renders, and well.. most of them have the gpu thing..

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:52 pm

neo0. wrote:[...] and well.. most of them have the gpu thing..
uhm, we do, too?

Sparlin

Post by Sparlin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:30 am

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

My Stingray was featured!

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

But seriously, that was a great presentation Benn.

Cheers

Sparling

benn

Post by benn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:43 am

Thanks guys. :)

I'm trying to get some more presentation slots at different things. As for the 'best renderer in the world', I'm pretty sure we are the best in absolute accuracy and features, and although I too like to be all low-key and subtle - in the marketplace you need to be clearly identified as something - and for as long as we have more accurate motion blur, emitters and better material options (ISL) than Maxwell, I'd like to peg that 'best renderer in the world' spot.

Those figures are several months old and we're doing even better now (and we have 6 Indigeans now - we had only just hired Soup and Fused when we made that video, we have lyc and Rosie now).

Hahaha - I have the central pane of this photo stuck up above my desk - go go reality distortion field! ;D

benn

Post by benn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:45 am

We'll have a booth at Technology 2010 this year if anyone in Auckland wants to come down and meet us in person, you can do so for free on the 13th!

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:22 am

benn wrote: As for the 'best renderer in the world', I'm pretty sure we are the best in absolute accuracy and features, and although I too like to be all low-key and subtle - in the marketplace you need to be clearly identified as something - and for as long as we have more accurate motion blur, emitters and better material options (ISL) than Maxwell, I'd like to peg that 'best renderer in the world' spot.
I hate to be a naysayer, but I don't think Indigo has more features than Maxwell... And have you done research to prove Indigo's motion blur is realistic? Although Maxwell's material repository is down at the moment, AFAIK their shading language is just as capable, if not more capable than ISL.

Indigo is an extremely realistic renderer, but there really is no 'Best Renderer'... All renderers have their weaknesses and strong points, and appeal to different groups of people of different professions, you can't win them all over. Biased renderers such as Renderman and Vray are more viable than unbiased renderers for things like animations because of their speed, while unbiased renderers are better at achieving realistic results although they are extremely slow in comparison.
samlavoie.xyz

benn

Post by benn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:27 am

:D

43 posts