8 posts • Page 1 of 1
dcm

Arion renderer

Post by dcm » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:50 am

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Arion renderer

Post by Zom-B » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:50 am

jep, already posted in the Octane Thread...

Anyway, for me the most important thing using GPU is to speed up the whole rendering Progress. This fancy fly through and direct material editing is a nice side effect, but more of a toy!

Direct Material editing is interesting for the material Editor, starting from my main 3D app to preview the material, tweak it and after being satisfied save and port automatically back to the 3D app.
But anyway, I prefer if Indigo prioritize gain in Speed vs some fancy looking features.... speed is most important!!1!
Since Indigo material generation and overall workflow is very good at the moment, I don't see hundrets of man-hours being spend here in first place!

Like Dade told the way Lux is going to use the GPU is more the way I would like to see it in Indigo too:
Luxrender is going to use GPU only for ray intersections and this mean we need to store only triangles mesh data in GPU memory (i.e. no texture maps, no materials, no frame-buffer,etc.). Given the results obtained with SmallLuxGPU (few MB to render 260,000 triangles), I assume we will able to render scenes with several millions of triangles with the amount of memory available with the current generation of GPUs.
polygonmanufaktur.de

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:46 am

Loving Random Control's new site design.
samlavoie.xyz

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:03 am

This is how indigo needs to be imo.. More real time feedback.. Being able to atleast edit the albedo of any material while you are rendering would be great.

It is worth noting that they were using an 8 core processor though.. These are out of most people's price range.. Im still trying to get my 4 core one to work :(

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:36 pm

"The price of Arion will be coherent with the performance and features of the package, and the fact that Arion is next-gen technology. There will be licensing options designed to cover a wide range of needs, depending on the hardware at your disposal."

Hmm. Something tells me I won't be terribly fond of their pricing scheme. :)

remus
Indigo 100

Post by remus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Sounds like a sneaky way of saying 'its going to cost a lot' to me. Especially if you consider that a lot of people may well have to fork out for a new graphics card in the process.

Stinkie
Indigo 100

Post by Stinkie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:40 pm

It's not just going to cost a lot, I think. I suspect they mean the price will be relative to the amount of cores (gpu/cpu) your system has. If so, I ain't buying. :)

Might well be wrong, though!
Last edited by Stinkie on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Sounds the same to me!

Randomcontrol seems having a issue with people buying a quad sli system and having a renderfarm-in-a-box that only needs 1 license to run ;-)
polygonmanufaktur.de

8 posts • Page 1 of 1