One more reason to look forward to Win7

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
neo0.

One more reason to look forward to Win7

Post by neo0. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:31 am

Check these out
http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_7_for_home.html

Full GPU acceleration across the board. Everything from photo editing to next gen gaming. 7 will not only be faster, but I think we can also expect fancier effects. :)

dakiru
Indigo 100

Re: One more reason to look forward to Win7

Post by dakiru » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:54 am

neo0. wrote:Check these out
http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_7_for_home.html

Full GPU acceleration across the board. Everything from photo editing to next gen gaming. 7 will not only be faster, but I think we can also expect fancier effects. :)
Have you seen Xorg with Compiz, for example? It went far away from Win7 when talking about fancy effects (with hardware acceleration, of course) :wink: Check the Youtube, you will be surprised.

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:17 am

dakiru wrote: Have you seen Xorg with Compiz, for example? It went far away from Win7 when talking about fancy effects (with hardware acceleration, of course) :wink: Check the Youtube, you will be surprised.
Yes but, lets compare apples with apples, here were talking about an improvement itself not comparing it to other OS'.

Now I'm not saying Windows > Linux, or Linux > Windows, I'm just saying yes it is yet another improvement included in Windows 7 which, for having used it for 3-4 months (RC build 7100) I must say I'm impressed. My boot times are just wicked quick and thats just one of the many advantages.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:21 am

Borgleader wrote:
dakiru wrote: Have you seen Xorg with Compiz, for example? It went far away from Win7 when talking about fancy effects (with hardware acceleration, of course) :wink: Check the Youtube, you will be surprised.
Yes but, lets compare apples with apples, here were talking about an improvement itself not comparing it to other OS'.

Now I'm not saying Windows > Linux, or Linux > Windows, I'm just saying yes it is yet another improvement included in Windows 7 which, for having used it for 3-4 months (RC build 7100) I must say I'm impressed. My boot times are just wicked quick and thats just one of the many advantages.
I agree with you, Windows get a lot better, I am using it too. I just wanted to tell about Compiz. :wink:

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:33 pm

Why can't Microsoft just stop trying to control everything. They can't handle not having control of OpenGL...they create DirectX. Can't handle not having control of OpenCL...they create DirectCompute. Cross platform development hell courtesy of Microsft.

The computing world would be so much simpler if Microsoft would just crawl off and die...
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:49 pm

WytRaven wrote:Why can't Microsoft just stop trying to control everything. They can't handle not having control of OpenGL...they create DirectX. Can't handle not having control of OpenCL...they create DirectCompute. Cross platform development hell courtesy of Microsft.

The computing world would be so much simpler if Microsoft would just crawl off and die...
They created it but you dont have to use it...best example World of Warcraft, it makes billions of dollars a year, player base of over 11 million and what does it run on? OpenGL.

I say let 'em try...they'll soon realize their quest is futile ;)

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Personally, I won't touch directcompute with a ten foot pole :)

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Im not sure if I see that as controlling, as much as just trying hold up their end of market competition.

Honestly, I can't wait to see how Apple responds to windows 7. It's almost funny.. I use a PC and I don't wear a suit and im not 50 pounds overweight.. :lol:

LOL! They already did!
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

I guess apple hasn't read the reviews yet. Windows 7 fixed, many, many of the problems that vista had. To run down a few of them : UAC, performance, and lack of innovation.

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:27 pm

neo0. wrote:
LOL! They already did!

I guess apple hasn't read the reviews yet. Windows 7 fixed, many, many of the problems that vista had. To run down a few of them : UAC, performance, and lack of innovation.

Apple ads make me laugh out loud..
samlavoie.xyz

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Godzilla wrote:
neo0. wrote:
LOL! They already did!

Apple ads make me laugh out loud..
Apple computer prices make me laugh out loud 8)

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:16 pm

Yeah.. you know, it's wierd. Apple stereotypes PC users as nerds but they're asking people to pay $3500 for their box..

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:47 pm

neo0. wrote:lack of innovation.
Copying (with questionable skill) a base interface look from one place and much base functionality from another is not innovation; it is called playing "catch up". The only feature in Win 7 I can't trace back to another existing system is window shaking and I could see myself having use for that particular "feature" about......never; about as useful as Win+Tab.

Any way this thread is going to be much like any thread about something Apple related and will degrade into a turf war. So before that happens let me say that although Win 7 is about as exciting as a shit on the face for anyone that isn't a Windows user I do hope for Windows user's sakes that Win 7 really is as good as Microsoft would like to think it is.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

gagar

Post by gagar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:43 pm

neo0. wrote:Honestly, I can't wait to see how Apple responds to windows 7.
At which level?
Because honestly Windows 7 seems to be Microsoft's response to (1) their own "gem" called Vista, and (2) the latest version(s) of Mac OS X (e.g., support for OpenCL was added in Snow Leopard).

If (1) is successful, then we will see good sales of Windows 7, not because it is that groundbreaking, but because many people stuck with XP instead of "upgrading" to Vista.
As for (2), well as mentioned that's just catch-up...

Windows 7 will probably be a success but I think that the "more" in the title of this thread is excessive...

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Here ne0, enlighten yourself a bit on the GPU acceleration thing. Check out www.pixelmator.com. Been around for some time now...

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:44 pm

WytRaven wrote:Here ne0, enlighten yourself a bit on the GPU acceleration thing. Check out www.pixelmator.com. Been around for some time now...
This one looks like a candy. And no Windows download? :lol:

67 posts