The renderer's Mac?

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
Godzilla
Indigo 100

Re: The renderer's Mac?

Post by Godzilla » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:42 am

Damn i'm going to need to upgrade my CPU soon to keep up with the Macs :)
samlavoie.xyz

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:30 am

Price-wise this machines are sure a great deal!

reached today my personal iMac temp record with 98° on CPU during rendering :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:45 am

@ZomB

I'm wondering how the temperature is measured in such a mac. My brother in law has
an older macbook pro and it seems to be pretty hot too. But he has it for over 2 years
now and never had an issue with it. So I'm wondering when you've got a mac you don't
need to turn up the heater anymore. :lol: :wink:

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:03 am

Well to be honest I think there is a general misnomer about chip temperatures these days thanks in large part to the enthusiast build-your-own-beast and overclocker crowds and therefore the huge HSF market. All ICs from the smallest to the largest have safe temperature operating zones. As long as you remain within those limits the chip is just fine. A CPU running at 40 deg C under load is not going to perform any better at a specified clock rate than one at 98 deg C under load if 98 deg C is within normal operating limits of the chip.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:27 am

I do agree. And there are sites out there that try to give you a hint on the max temp.
Anyway, I do think that it's also a question of how the cpu temperature is measured.

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Not to rain on the parade here, but $3500 isn't exactly cheap.. I remember checking new egg awhile back and the price for this came up to around $1500...

benn

Post by benn » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:00 pm

Yeah I love macs as much as the next guy (i've got two macbooks and a mini) but the i7 imac is freaking expensive.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:22 pm

neo0. wrote:Not to rain on the parade here, but $3500 isn't exactly cheap.. I remember checking new egg awhile back and the price for this came up to around $1500...
Cheap compared to what? And what exactly is this? A Ferrari is a bit pricey when compared with a yugo, but it has somehow something more to it then a yugo, therefore...

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:37 pm

For 1800€ (thats how much it costs in germany) I think you could get an equal machine, 2 huge screens and still have enough left to go out and invite all your buddies to a beer.

So, yes, it is not exactly cheap :)

But i agree: the new iMacs are sexy :D

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:10 pm

I really don't want to get into another justify-the-price-of-a-mac war but let me just say this. That is including a 3 year full support and replacement warranty and that is a 27" LED backlit IPS screen....not to mention the unbelievable engineering that has gone in to these things...blah blah blah.

...and that's it from me. Those that know, know, those that don't are not likely to ever be convinced until they take the step and reach enlightenment on their own ;)
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:38 am

Wyt wrote:not to mention the unbelievable engineering that has gone in to these things
noone ever doubted that :)
heres proof :D

iMac Intel 27" Teardown

but some people just dont care, haha

gagar

Post by gagar » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:46 am

Thanks for the cool link, fused.

To quote:
To keep the iMac cool and happy, Apple's included six temperature sensors, three fans, and two gigantic heat sinks.
So i'm pretty sure that even if the CPU does get too hot there is some software in there to shut it down before you get a fried (big)mac.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:21 pm

Still, with everything packed so close together, doesn't it seem like things are going to get a little warm? All those fans might help a bit, but the thing seems like it's also going get pretty noisy..

Don't get me wrong.. I love alot of the apple things out there. Im a big fan of the latest apple browser (safari i think) and the new iphone looks really sweet. I wish my girlfriend bought me stuff like this. :)

gagar

Post by gagar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:58 pm

neo0. wrote:Still, with everything packed so close together, doesn't it seem like things are going to get a little warm?
Well, it depends on the power consumption and the design. Overall I would think that Apple designed their products so that they "work"... "little warm" is all fine :wink:
neo0. wrote:All those fans might help a bit, but the thing seems like it's also going get pretty noisy..
My iMac is mostly silent even with all the fans on. The key is not the number of fans, but their quality and the assembly design.
Very often cheap PCs are packed with cheap fans which are cheaply assembled in the case... Yeah in that case it does get pretty noisy :lol:

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:24 pm

neo0. wrote:Still, with everything packed so close together, doesn't it seem like things are going to get a little warm? All those fans might help a bit, but the thing seems like it's also going get pretty noisy..
From my iMac experience I got to say to you I have experienced no noise at all, for me it that alone would be reason enough to have it instead of a cheaper pc box

38 posts