cool free progs

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
tungee

Post by tungee » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Neo what version of wings you have .
With the newest Wings you can directly select a font!
Music has the right to children!

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:10 pm

hey do any of you run wings on ubuntu, because I can't get it to work, and It is horribly slow on windows with my machine.

tungee

Post by tungee » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:00 am

sorry im on osx!
Music has the right to children!

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:07 am

tungee wrote:Neo what version of wings you have .
With the newest Wings you can directly select a font!
99.53. I open the font tool and I have to browse for it. Photoshop style font selection should have been in wings a year ago. The fact that they're just getting here says alot in itself.

Most of the updates don't really adresss anything useful either. Just really obscure bug fixes (like when you click the right mouse button over the green bar, wings crashes or something.)

Wings probably isn't going anywhere to be honest either, and because of the community, which is, irrevocably onvinced that wings should always :
a) Have crappy performance when it comes to working with polycounts that were greater than was the standard in 1995.
b) Wings shouldn't have basic modelling facets like a tool options window
c) Should keep it's ugly Windows 98 look.
d) Shouldn't strive for innovative features.
Examples of innovative featurs
→Modo 301's tube tool that allows you to click a few points a la Adobe Illustrator and it creates and interpolated smoothe curve
→Modo 401's profile tool that allows you to shape geometry by using profiles.
→Blender's physics , including liquid simulation.

Look at every blender update. There are always fascinating new features in the pipeline. Wings has been in development for years, and there has been nothing the slightest bit groundbreaking.

e) The UI organisation should never be questioned ( I like the UI, but I also believe that people should be open to new ideas) despite the fact that the beloved right click context menu is overflowing and you have to activate it more or less in the middle of your scree, otherwise, it spills off the page, preventing access to several tools.

f) Terrible user feedback. Half the features are hidden because then UIs design doesn't even readilly indicate their existence. Maybe that or the the UI is just so much of an eye sore, it makes you not want to use it more than absolutely neccesary

139 posts