Intel 8 core CPU

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
User avatar
CoolColJ
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:47 pm

Intel 8 core CPU

Post by CoolColJ » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:35 pm

said to be out at the end of the year or early next year, get ready for 12 threads people 8)

handsomedave
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:48 am

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by handsomedave » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:41 am

Um wouldn't it be 16 threads?

User avatar
WytRaven
Indigo 100
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 pm
Location: Dubbo, Australia
Contact:

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:55 am

I'm guessing he meant 6 core as that is next on Intel's roadmap...

..as long as you are getting ready for 12 threads you'd best be getting your wallet ready too as I would expect them to cost an arm, two legs, and possibly a foot. ;)
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

User avatar
WytRaven
Indigo 100
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 pm
Location: Dubbo, Australia
Contact:

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:23 am

handsomedave wrote:Um wouldn't it be 16 threads?
Speaking of 16 threads...
grab.jpg
grab.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Stromberg
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:01 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by Stromberg » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:42 am

Damn, would be nice to have :)
Then it would be alot of rendering(Yes, even more) ;)

User avatar
matsta
Posts: 730
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:50 am
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by matsta » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:34 am

:/ I really want to switch to mac, it just seems hellishly overpriced :/
fast cpu is fast.

User avatar
CoolColJ
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:22 am

well 24 threads soon then :lol:

User avatar
CoolColJ
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:22 am

6 cores are perfect, 4 for rendering 2 to play games, model or whatever

User avatar
WytRaven
Indigo 100
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 pm
Location: Dubbo, Australia
Contact:

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:10 pm

matsta wrote::/ I really want to switch to mac, it just seems hellishly overpriced :/
fast cpu is fast.
Choice of words is important here. Mac Pros are expensive, not overpriced. Adobe software would be a good example of overpriced. ;)

I guess the real problem is that there is a huge hole in the Apple line up. You jump from top end iMac (energy efficient/sonically efficient laptop/desktop parts) straight to bottom end Mac Pro (powerful and stable server/workstation parts) and there is nothing in between. Trust me there is much wishing/screaming/yelling that goes on by Apple users for Apple to release an enthusiast level desktop machine (mid tower format with desktop level parts). It's even been given a name, they dubbed it the xMac. Unfortunately such a machine has never materialized and it would seem that Apple has no desire at this point to compete in the enthusiast PC market. Considering the amount of misinformation and totally ludicrous comparisons that sprout from PC users when looking at Apples it doesn't surprise me.
Last edited by WytRaven on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

User avatar
Godzilla
Indigo 100
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by Godzilla » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:21 pm

WytRaven wrote:
matsta wrote::/ I really want to switch to mac, it just seems hellishly overpriced :/
fast cpu is fast.
Choice of words is important here. Mac Pros are expensive, not overpriced. Adobe software would be a good example of overpriced. ;)

Mac's hardware to price ratio is way out of whack.

They are overpriced.


But yeah, Adobe Software's prices are screwed up too.
samlavoie.xyz

User avatar
WytRaven
Indigo 100
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 pm
Location: Dubbo, Australia
Contact:

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Godzilla wrote:Mac's hardware to price ratio is way out of whack.

They are overpriced..
Case in point of the misinformation I mentioned above. Nothing personal Godzilla but you are doing what 99% of other PC users do and are comparing specs vs price and not total package (i.e. what you actually get) vs price.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

User avatar
CoolColJ
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:50 pm

Easy upgrades and being able to choose the exact components you want for near silence are my PC likes

User avatar
Godzilla
Indigo 100
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by Godzilla » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:43 am

Elaborate on what do you mean by "What you really get"?

Just as a quick test (This doesn't prove anything, I know.) I built the Mac Pro Quad-core on Newegg.com with the same components, 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 3GB 1066Mhz DDR3,640GB 7200-rpm SATA 3 GB/S HDD, GT 120 512MB , and a keyboard and mouse, and all the other necessary components (Motherboard,PSU,Case,etc) for for $1889.70 USD, $600 less than what Apple is selling theirs for. Now- not nearly as bad as DELL, I admit :P, but in my honest opinion, you're still better off building your own computer and installing a Mac OS on it afterward.

My 2-cents.
samlavoie.xyz

User avatar
pixie
Indigo 100
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:54 am
Location: Away from paradise
3D Software: Cinema 4D
Contact:

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by pixie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:39 am

Godzilla wrote:Elaborate on what do you mean by "What you really get"?

Just as a quick test (This doesn't prove anything, I know.) I built the Mac Pro Quad-core on Newegg.com with the same components, 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 3GB 1066Mhz DDR3,640GB 7200-rpm SATA 3 GB/S HDD, GT 120 512MB , and a keyboard and mouse, and all the other necessary components (Motherboard,PSU,Case,etc) for for $1889.70 USD, $600 less than what Apple is selling theirs for. Now- not nearly as bad as DELL, I admit :P, but in my honest opinion, you're still better off building your own computer and installing a Mac OS on it afterward.

My 2-cents.
The answer lies that despite having the same components it ain't at all equal to the MacPro... just open both guts and you'll see what I mean, perhaps it's not important to you, but it doesn't mean the value isn't there...

User avatar
Godzilla
Indigo 100
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Intel 8 core CPU

Post by Godzilla » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:15 am

pixie wrote:
Godzilla wrote:Elaborate on what do you mean by "What you really get"?

Just as a quick test (This doesn't prove anything, I know.) I built the Mac Pro Quad-core on Newegg.com with the same components, 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 3GB 1066Mhz DDR3,640GB 7200-rpm SATA 3 GB/S HDD, GT 120 512MB , and a keyboard and mouse, and all the other necessary components (Motherboard,PSU,Case,etc) for for $1889.70 USD, $600 less than what Apple is selling theirs for. Now- not nearly as bad as DELL, I admit :P, but in my honest opinion, you're still better off building your own computer and installing a Mac OS on it afterward.

My 2-cents.
The answer lies that despite having the same components it ain't at all equal to the MacPro... just open both guts and you'll see what I mean, perhaps it's not important to you, but it doesn't mean the value isn't there...

So you're saying the hardware components are better quality?
samlavoie.xyz

Post Reply
57 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests