New Mac Pros

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
Godzilla
Indigo 100

Re: New Mac Pros

Post by Godzilla » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:12 pm

WytRaven wrote:
Godzilla wrote:Hopefully nothing is DOA :P
You had to jinx me didn't you ;) 1 of the 6 2GB DIMMs was DOA. Not Apple's fault. The RAM was the one thing installed by the reseller I bought the machine from. They will have another module out to me first thing Monday.

This means the machine is running slightly crippled right now as the triple channel mode of DDR3 is out of action so my memory bandwidth is nowhere near as good as it should be.

Despite this I decided to do a quick test of rendering speed anyway just to get a feel for what I'm in for. I chose a scene I did as a quick demo of my real diamond material which involves nk gold and 80 odd diamonds (diamond uses cauchy and tabulated absorption). It's being rendered at 2560x1600 with 2x supersampling. In 22 minutes it has reached 190spp. That is pretty freaking fast even in it's crippled state and this is with me copying crap loads of data onto the new machine in the background at the same time as well as browsing the net.

Unfortunately I have run into heaps of problems with mac indigo/blendigo just trying to get this test up and running. Paths are screwed; had to copy all textures into same folder as .igs and edit xml to even get started. Before that I also had to use the terminal to copy the exported scene from /tmp to my render folder (wtf? um how about returning things back to the old beldigo way of letting us choose the export path please :evil:) as auto launching pops an error message claiming indigo is incapable of reading files of type "Indigo Scene Format"...o...k.... Which then loads fine if you manually open....which of course can't be done unless you move the exported scene out of the /tmp folder as it's inaccessible from the standard file dialog.

Once I have then replacement DIMM I will run some proper tests using one of the example scenes so people can have something to properly compare against.

By the way...I am sooooo happy I bought this thing. It is sweet like candy :D

(275spp in 33 minutes now)
I may have to upgrade to an i7 based machine :twisted:

You gonna overclock that puppy?
samlavoie.xyz

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:56 am

Godzilla wrote:You gonna overclock that puppy?
Well these chips overclock themselves, within reason, based on thermal/electrical/load status. That's good enough for me.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:01 am

Oh. :(
samlavoie.xyz

18 posts