Apple "Ad Believers are stupid"

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
Borgleader

Apple "Ad Believers are stupid"

Post by Borgleader » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:34 pm

..or close to. Here's a sum up of the story. In the UK ads for the iPhone 3G were stating that "the iPhone could go anywhere on the internet" WRONG. They also said "twice as fast for the price" also WRONG, and also the demonstration (visual this time) of how fast the pages load is also faked, it doesn't go that fast.

Apple was sued and in turn took theirs ads off the air. Following this they released a document in which :
Dailytech wrote:Apple states, "Plaintiff's claims, and those of the purported class, are barred by the fact that the alleged deceptive statements were such that no reasonable person in Plaintiff's position could have reasonably relied on or misunderstood Apple's statements as claims of fact."

Michael Ian Rott, Gillis's attorney points out that a company saying that you would have to be stupid to believe its ads is a rather strange tack. He says that there have been five lawsuits about the iPhone 3G's speed, which hope to gain possible class action, but his client's is the strongest, as evidenced by the fact that Apple has not filed to dismiss it, unlike the other suits.
Source

Who thinks calling your customers idiots is a bad marketing tactic?
*Raises hands*

Comments?
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

BBjam
Indigo 100

Post by BBjam » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:09 pm

Aww, come on Apple, you don't need to stoop this low. :(

Doug Armand
Indigo 100

Post by Doug Armand » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Could be they really do think Apple customers are stupid but it doesn't matter because .... evidence shows they will still pay so much for something that is really just ok but in a pretty package? :lol:
Doug

Doug Armand

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Ads what are they are, and if most were to be taken literally would imply that consumers are stupid, as is an ad isn't an unbiased source of information regarding any product, pretending they are is simply stupidity... usually the best ads don't even go selling the product, they sell the experience the product might present the consumer.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:56 am

pixie wrote:Ads what are they are, and if most were to be taken literally would imply that consumers are stupid, as is an ad isn't an unbiased source of information regarding any product, pretending they are is simply stupidity... usually the best ads don't even go selling the product, they sell the experience the product might present the consumer.
+1 so true!

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:42 am

pixie wrote:Ads what are they are, and if most were to be taken literally would imply that consumers are stupid, as is an ad isn't an unbiased source of information regarding any product, pretending they are is simply stupidity... usually the best ads don't even go selling the product, they sell the experience the product might present the consumer.
its is quite like this: other adds dont tell you that your product is better than it actually is, even if the experience presented is 110% made up. yes, using axe could cause women to chase after me (even more than usual :P ) depending on my attractiveness and their lasciviousness, but the ad doesnt tell me it smells better than it does (smells good ^^).

but the iphone ad... it tells you that the iphone performs 3-5 times better than it actually does. its still a nice toy, but i as a customer would feel fooled (and if i was a citizen of the US of A, i would sue).

there is a difference.

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:35 am

If you trust an ad you get what you deserve. Having seen the ad I see what Iphone can do if in a rather fancy slideshow mode, that's how much I would trust, you'll have those users which are all thumbs that even if the ad was to be a true portrait of reality they would never get close to it.

As for the axe ad, if you were to be truth to it as you are on iphone one you would demand at least the very same number of women going after you, not one less... I know I would! :D

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:40 am

apple comercials are fairly acurate compared to a lot of the other stuff we see on tv. Also, the x2 speed for internet depends on where you are, i know here in dallas x2 is about accurate.

If apple getting sued of something as stupid as this, its amazing the axe comercials havent been slamed with suites.
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:05 am

because they are not lying about the product. it smells good. the rest are environmental factors that you, or neither the makers of axe have no influence on.

people got sued for things more stupid than this and i think apple deserves it :twisted:
pixie wrote:I know I would! :D
you know i would :D ;)

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:09 am

But iphone do what is advertised, just not on at that speed, just like axe, it smeels good, but not to the point of actually doing what it is advertised

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:17 am

If you think a bit on the concept of advertising, then you know we customers are idiots. They DO ads with that fact in mind, it's all about mobilizing behaviours the average customer will not be aware of (ending by "I want that thing THEY SHOW" (it's a show, cutie), or "those women" etc).
also the demonstration (visual this time) of how fast the pages load is also faked
I would not bear with that. Though, it doesn't surprise me if it's faked. Ever since mobiles can do photographs they put fakes on printed screens. That always shocked me.

Look, better sue them if people, instead of being idiots, were fooled. Or they will not stop chatting to the beast within.

11 posts • Page 1 of 1