Who else here is excited for Blender 2.5?

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Who else here is excited for Blender 2.5?

Post by fused » Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 am

i have to second handsomedave, OSX is rotten :)

yes its unix under the hood and i agree its probably the better approach to an OS but the rest... rotten. if youre a bash god and use the terminal for 90% of your tasks its probably ok.... but then you could also use linux... free :)

enough osx bashing from me.

the macpro is a killer. i think its not only about the hardware, its some kind of status symbol. yes you could get it cheaper and faster, but hell: you can affort an mac pro! :mrgreen:

handsomedave

Post by handsomedave » Tue May 12, 2009 8:30 am

I'm not trying to say the mac pro isn't a great piece of hardware.
Hell if money was not an issue I'd buy one for myself and run windows and linux on it.

But a few thousand dollars does make a difference to me and I support OS X and windows machines at work and everytime a user has a problem with one of the macs I get an instant headache because I know its going to take most of the day to track down the problem and squash it or get around it.

"I'm a PC. And I F$@##%$ hate OS X." :)

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue May 12, 2009 3:44 pm

Yeah.. Im curious.. It seems like you intend to play some games on that mac pro (the HD 4780), but hardly any games come out on the mac or are compatible with it.

And yeah, macs are much more expensive. You can get a high end PC for around $1400 while a mac usually costs twice that.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue May 12, 2009 3:52 pm

neo0. wrote:Yeah.. Im curious.. It seems like you intend to play some games on that mac pro (the HD 4780), but hardly any games come out on the mac or are compatible with it.

And yeah, macs are much more expensive. You can get a high end PC for around $1400 while a mac usually costs twice that.
Yep I'm buying this as a games machine... :roll:

...2560 x 1600 res on 30" monitor, blender, shit-loads of textured polys on screen....what do you think is going to do the heavy lifting?

Please stop trying to convince me that Apples aren't worth it, it's a waste of time. As I said before I have done months and months of research on this and I can assure you that all things considered this machine is very good value for money.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Tue May 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Could we maybe split this thread...it went from "Blender 2.5" to i like/hate macs
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Tue May 12, 2009 4:59 pm

Well, that's what I thought. It looked like a high end card, usually used for gaming, but quite powerful enough to drive games at your display, hence my curiosity. You might not be able to run crysis, but there are some older games (painkiller, urban terror, halo 2, counter strike source, Prey, Doom 3, etc) that would run great.

Your research could possible have been misleading, because it is common knowledge that macs are much more expensive than PCs. If you require proof, well, then here ya go
http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/ ... n_pcs.html

Mac users really exaggerate window issues. Yes, windows does have slighter more crashes and compatability issues, but it wont' add up to much saved time. I can can run my PC for the whole day without the slightest hitch, and that's not something I can say of a mac.

You don't have to be coder or l33t haxx0r to use windos, which is the biggest misconceptions the mac fan base tries to push.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Tue May 12, 2009 5:12 pm

...and with that I step off this bus. I have made my decision. My decision is sound. I am very happy with my decision.

Now feel free to keep talking PC v Mac crap but I have no interest in it. :|
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Tue May 12, 2009 8:50 pm

neo0. wrote:Well, that's what I thought. It looked like a high end card, usually used for gaming, but quite powerful enough to drive games at your display, hence my curiosity. You might not be able to run crysis, but there are some older games (painkiller, urban terror, halo 2, counter strike source, Prey, Doom 3, etc) that would run great.
But there's actually any problem in running Windows games in n Apple machine? In you common knowledge database didn't you find it to run Windows? Jesus...

jim_archviz

Post by jim_archviz » Tue May 12, 2009 10:49 pm

fused wrote:yes its unix under the hood and i agree its probably the better approach to an OS but the rest... rotten. if youre a bash god and use the terminal for 90% of your tasks its probably ok.... but then you could also use linux... free :)
As a desktop OS where the GUI and the user-friendliness matters a lot, Mac OS X is way beyond what is available on Linux (KDE, Gnome, etc.)
handsomedave wrote:Hell if money was not an issue I'd buy one for myself and run windows and linux on it.:)
Again, one of of the strength of Macs is OS X. Why would you run an OS less useable than OS X on your Mac unless you really HAVE to. :?
WytRaven wrote:I have made my decision. My decision is sound. I am very happy with my decision.
I think you made a good decision. :D
That being said, Apple screens are pretty expensive...

handsomedave

Post by handsomedave » Wed May 13, 2009 12:36 am

jim_archviz wrote:Again, one of of the strength of Macs is OS X. Why would you run an OS less useable than OS X on your Mac unless you really HAVE to.
Exactly how is windows "less useable" on a mac than OS X? They should both run fine and Windows is no less useable than OS X.

Wyt I'm not trying to convince you not to get a Mac Pro they are great machines.
I'm curious what OS's are you planning to run on it?

jim_archviz

Post by jim_archviz » Wed May 13, 2009 1:21 am

handsomedave wrote:Exactly how is windows "less useable" on a mac than OS X? They should both run fine and Windows is no less useable than OS X.
I think you misread my post... :?
OS X provides a better user experience and a better useability than Windows... Obviously this claim depends on personal tastes for some tasks, but overall the picture is quite clear.
Thus, I don't see any reason to buy a Mac to run Windows on it, unless you need Windows sporadically for whatever reason.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Wed May 13, 2009 2:41 am

handsomedave wrote:Wyt I'm not trying to convince you not to get a Mac Pro they are great machines.
I'm curious what OS's are you planning to run on it?
Mac OS exclusively.

I have planned software and external hardware purchases over the years with an eventual switch to Mac in mind so all software I have invested in (both monetary and knowledge-wise) is available for both Mac OS and Windows with one of the few exceptions being indigo which was holding me back until Ben showed up and said "Hey! Who wants a Mac version?". Thanks Ben! :D

I was also careful to choose software who's license agreements allowed for free switching between platforms. Unfortunately there was one exception to that rule which was Sony's Vegas. I have solved that problem however by selling my Vegas license (which due to the financial crisis and changing Aussie Dollar values saw me almost break even) and will be switching to Premiere for the Mac as can be seen by my planned purchase of the Production Suite from Adobe.

Now you wanna complain about extortionate pricing...start talking Adobe :lol:

handsomedave

Post by handsomedave » Wed May 13, 2009 3:25 am

I hear you there. I have the master collection and the greedy SOB's want $900US for the update from CS3 to CS4

benn

Post by benn » Wed May 13, 2009 11:13 am

A mac pro would rule - I'm jealous with my macbok 1.8 jiggaherz. ;)

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 am

Vista isn't exactly the dream come true that microsoft sold it as, but I'd take it any day over Mac OS. The mac dock bar is a fundamentally flawed concept. Sure, in terms of visuals, it puts windows' time honored task bar, but it tries to do too much with too little space. Combining running program with the available programs seems to be overshooting a bit. Also, it might just be me, the way the interface distinguishes between the two is pretty confusing At my college, the library has macs in them and im often left puzzled about what is a running app and what is just a program that can be run. Im not a fan of the way that mac handles application instances either. Window does it logically, combining them and only displaying them when needed.

What else.. what else.. Oh yeah, the top bar gets me every time. With PCs every app looks distinct, but with macs, they try to homogenize everything with the top bar. Again, it's confusing imo. That bar also help to clarify the currently selected application, which is what makes the experience so ambiguous for me.

And time machine. Windows had that over half a decade ago. It's called system restore and it doesn't require the purchase of something else (an external or usb drive.) :roll:

204 posts