Who else here is excited for Blender 2.5?

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 am

doublez wrote:I don't see this as that big of a deal. It's looks somewhat the same, just cleaner and organized slightly different. It looks like same basic layout style as before though.
For me it's a great deal, cause i never got to understand what blender was all about because of that horrible organized interface :P

doublez

Post by doublez » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:17 am

But I don't think it looks all that different. Look at the last picture posted, of the texture tab. Now look at what it looks like now.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p50/ ... tled-1.jpg

It's pretty similar. It looks nice, but it doesn't look that different. I guess we'll have to wait to see how it is when your actually using it. :D

joegiampaoli

Post by joegiampaoli » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm like freakin' rotting here waiting for the official release....... :cry:
Joe Giampaoli
Never tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope
My Indigo Gallery

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:53 am

The texture tab looks much different. It actually looks approachable, not like the garbled mess that it is now. And this is only the beginning. These are only the aesthetic changes so far. I think they're planning some very significant functional revisions too, to make it even easier to use (remember all the UI redesign proposals?) :)

doublez

Post by doublez » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:00 am

I'm all for the updated look, but it is the same organaization and will still take some time to learn to use.

:wink:

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:56 am

Well the diffrent is, that one the old picture new user will be scared away, and the new one it looks more welcoming and playfull like it should be for new user :)
You dont give a 2 year old kid a oil painting set and make him start paint, you give them crayons ;)

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:56 am

Ah but blender is not for kids! ;)
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:17 am

Good point :roll:
:lol:

handsomedave

Post by handsomedave » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:40 pm

WytRaven wrote:Ah but blender is not for kids! ;)
Maybe... But kids could probly pick it up faster than us old guys.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:51 am

Ah but blender is not for kids!
With that line of reasoning, you could say that windows isn't made for kids either and should require command line usage to start programs. But they didn't. Windows evolved away from that approach. The fact of the matter is that the more user friendly a program is, the more inclined people are going to want to use it. Naturally, something like blender is going to have more of a learning curve than MS paint, but that doesn't mean that that usability should be tossed out the window.

Instead of saying "Blender isn't for kids", I think it's more accurate to say that Blender tried a new UI approach (no overlapping and non modal) and simply failed to implement it in an intuitive way. The lower the learning curve, the more people will be able to break the app in and start using it. A UI that looks like ants crawling on a page only scares people away. The easier a UI is, the less time you will spend concentrating on it versus using the program to create content.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:43 pm

You just don't get it do you ne0...put in the hard yards learning to use a powerful program and once you know how to use it there is no longer a problem. If after putting in the hard yards it is still difficult to use then what you have is a powerful program with a unfriendly user interface, or simply a user that is not capable of learning.

This does not apply to blender as it is very easy to use once you learn. Sure it could stand improvements, all things on earth can be improved upon which is why I am not at all against the improvements slated for blender 2.5 but if you think that 2.5 is suddenly going to be a walk in the park to learn then I'm sorry but you are going to be sorely dissapointed.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:11 pm

WytRaven wrote:You just don't get it do you ne0...put in the hard yards learning to use a powerful program and once you know how to use it there is no longer a problem. If after putting in the hard yards it is still difficult to use then what you have is a powerful program with a unfriendly user interface, or simply a user that is not capable of learning.

This does not apply to blender as it is very easy to use once you learn. Sure it could stand improvements, all things on earth can be improved upon which is why I am not at all against the improvements slated for blender 2.5 but if you think that 2.5 is suddenly going to be a walk in the park to learn then I'm sorry but you are going to be sorely dissapointed.
Which country are you from? I must you for president :wink:
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:16 am

You just don't get it do you ne0...put in the hard yards learning to use a powerful program and once you know how to use it there is no longer a problem. If after putting in the hard yards it is still difficult to use then what you have is a powerful program with a unfriendly user interface, or simply a user that is not capable of learning.
The user interface is what makes it very hard to break in, and thats ultimately what matters the most. It's not like Blenders learning curve is trivial. It has a well earned reputation as a pain in the ass. Saying that learning something is trivial, because once you learn it, is just like saying, why not go learn how to fly a helicopter, because once you learn it, it will be easy. Well, no crap it will. :roll:

The developers themselves have elected to make these changes to the interface. If that doesn't convince you, than nothing will.

Doublez.. I see a couple ways in which they might be similar, but the new one looks almost completely different. Everything looks so much clearer and self explanatory. The organization seems much less random, and much more logic driven.. Like there was actually some sort of thought behind it..

Honestly.. If you gave people a choice.. Which do you think they'd rather pick up?

handsomedave

Post by handsomedave » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:30 am

Neo you obviously no nothing of those crazy aircraft that spin their wings rather than push or pull them through the air. An airplane, once you learn how, is easy to fly. A helicopter is never easy to fly!

benn

Post by benn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:15 am

The new blender UI looks really sexy. Will it change the left/right mouse button behaviour though? TBH I think the right click to select is confusing - but I guess it's so ingrained in blenders users heads now.

:)

204 posts