zsouthboy: good :)

I didn't find any, sofar...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:23 am

I'm boycotting Google, my start page is blank :P
obsolete asset

Onfame

Post by Onfame » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:36 am

Hmm I heard that the everyone get an ID while installing, and Chrome sends informations to google on what sites you were etc. therefore i don't know yet i should use it for everything, but when it comes to speed, its surely worth a look :)

Edit: Type in your chrome-adress bar: evil:%

xrok1

Post by xrok1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:22 am

its the :% you can put any word with it or just use it alone :roll:

BTW you can turn off the information collection thingy in the options doomsdayer

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:32 pm

PureSpider wrote:I need addons for this thingie! :D
NOW! :P
adblock and stumble upon and im sold.
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:07 am

The things I'm thinking about are GMail Manager and FoxMarks... and maybe my Mr. Wong Toolbar... I NEED THEM! :P

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:00 am

And that's how 80% of the internauts access only 20% of the web, that's fine :roll:

Google is becoming to big of a beast onto our space, isn't it ? And since I realized results were biased... well in that situation you are somehow forced to stay in the mainstream, and quickly you find yourself trapped there.

Ex: Are you sure you want to know about this word (your query) ? Weren't you looking for that one (Google's choice) ?

Call me dumb, fascist :evil:

Before my starting page was Google, I was giving them credit at every connection. Too much credit. They were popular, now they are on busisness (more than ever). Don't make them "your friend".

I agree that's *cough* flamatory but face that. I had to elaborate anyway. What's really frightening is that we don't even hear (through G of course) about ALTERNATIVES.

Oh no I won't give up !!!
obsolete asset

neepneep
Indigo 100

Post by neepneep » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:59 am

oh man... I am loving this :% in the omnibar easter egg!
Last edited by neepneep on Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:10 am

CTZn wrote:Ex: Are you sure you want to know about this word (your query) ? Weren't you looking for that one (Google's choice) ?
WTF CTZn?

You realize that's just their spelling suggestion algorithm, right?

They're not secretly telling you to go somewhere else.

Even if your query is spelled correctly, the algorithm also takes into account close matches that give many more results compared to what you used: USUALLY it's what you wanted in the first place.

Isigrim

Post by Isigrim » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:55 am

Didn't test Chrome yet, because i am using Linux.
But after all the news i am quite skeptic about using this browser. I don't like the fact that Orwells dark vision is becoming true slowly and everyone just says: Yeah, i give up my privacy easily, if everything gets a little faster and more comfortable.
I will work with firefox for the time being, fast enough and comfortable enough.

And if Google would publish a faster renderer, i would still use indigo.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:06 am

What makes people so afraid of an Open Source Browser?

Isigrim

Post by Isigrim » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:25 am

It´s not the browser especially but google in common. They earn money by collecting information about people and by creating user profiles to personalize advertisment. Thats nothing special and many companys do it, but no company is as big as google and collects information in such a broad manner as they do. They try to occupy every part of the internet because it earns them a lot bucks.
I just dont think it´s good if that much information about almost anyone comes together at one point. Other than that googles applications are great and easy but i would like it if theyd be a bit more concerned about data privacy.
That was a big problem with microsoft some time ago as well.

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:14 am

google having a browser dosent tell google anything more then using firefox does... their browser will probably make better use of their features, but that makes perfect sencse they made both.
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:15 am

Isigrim expressed in depth what I feel about Google. And now they are so strong that politics could be interested in instrumentalizing their infrastructure; history has shown us how bad military-industrial complex where doing for us. Please refer to Eisenhower's warning:
Chalmers Johnson wrote:Most Americans have a rough idea what the term "military-industrial complex" means when they come across it in a newspaper or hear a politician mention it. President Dwight D. Eisenhower introduced the idea to the public in his farewell address of January 17, 1961.

"Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peacetime," he said, "or indeed by the fighting men of World War II and Korea… We have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions… We must not fail to comprehend its grave implications… We must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex... Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."

Although Eisenhower's reference to the military-industrial complex is, by now, well-known, his warning against its "unwarranted influence" has, I believe, largely been ignored.
Now let me tell you that Google is, obviously at this point, vastly under influence. Or you don't know what "economics" imply.

See also Military-industrial complex on wikipedia:
A military-industrial complex (MIC) is concept commonly used to refer to policy relationships between governments, national armed forces, and industrial support they obtain from the commercial sector in political approval for research, development, production, use, and support for military training, weapons, equipment, and facilities within the national defence and security policy.
With Google: they know all they want on you, you know what they want you to know. Didn't they tell you that information was a crucial weapon ?

That's not just Google, that's absolutely not a nation, that's an intention I'm denonciating. Even if I'm excessive (that was quickly thrown) you'll benefit on documenting yourself on these matters.

For the sake of good please be critic, be a citizen !
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:14 am

Maybe I was harsh :mrgreen:

What I meant about the search engine with close matches is that when I was searching for a specific word and google was suggesting another one, it was adding the suggested word in the search criteria. Hence my very little specific word was lost in tenths of thousands of pages, all filled with the word *cough* Google choosed for me. No chance to find my query then.

In that regard Google is biased, that is in its basic use. Coz it is also true that you can effectively remove the suggested word by using the advanced search feature, and find your exact query back. My bad.

So how's the beast ("I'm clean hence my name is Chrome") after some practice :D ?
obsolete asset

31 posts