Another MLT renderer

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
CoolColJ

Another MLT renderer

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:32 pm

came across another one with spectral rendering

http://www.steckles.com/metropolis.html

he seems to have nurbs and low memory Micro Poly displacement intergrated as well - nice!
Use a Reyes geometry system, so that allows for that sort of stuff easily. Read his blog for more details

some nice links on the left as well

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:50 pm

Wow, how have I not seen this before?

Impressive.

psor
1st Place Winner

Post by psor » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:51 pm

:shock: :twisted: 8)
"The sleeper must awaken"

lycium

Re: Another MLT renderer

Post by lycium » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:07 pm

1. there are quite a few spectral mlt renderers flying around in the shadows these days...

2. reyes rendering is fundamentally different from ray tracing (it's rasterising-based, based on micropolygons), so it's not going to be an exact match. probably it's more related to the pharr-hanrahan scheme: http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/displace/

the big question is, how effective is this caching scheme with an incoherent rendering method like mlt?

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:18 am

the prism looks ugly - the colours are wrong, there, I guess...

steckles

Post by steckles » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:21 pm

lyc wrote:2. reyes rendering is fundamentally different from ray tracing (it's rasterising-based, based on micropolygons), so it's not going to be an exact match. probably it's more related to the pharr-hanrahan scheme: http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/displace/
It's really, really similar the the Reyes pipeline. Similar enough that I wrote a Reyes renderer just by copying and pasting most of the code.

Reyes has five steps:
Bound
Split
Dice
Project
Sample

with the bounding and splitting done recursively.

The pipeline in my little raytracer is identical, except for the last two steps. Instead of projecting, the grids are simply added to the cache.
lyc wrote:the big question is, how effective is this caching scheme with an incoherent rendering method like mlt?
In its original form, the geometry cache worked fairly well as long as the total size of all the microgrids was smaller than the system memory. I've since added multi-resolution geometry caching (http://www.seanet.com/~myandper/abstract/eg03.htm) which drastically increased the efficiency. Sure, it's not 100% accurate, but it's so close that it's pretty much impossible to tell.

zsouthboy

Post by zsouthboy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:40 am

Welcome to the indigo forums, steckles!

Thanks for the insight!

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:57 pm

I figured Steckles was wondering where all these hits were coming from and tracked down the url and thread :)

Welcome

post some more renders!

steckles

Post by steckles » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:39 pm

Well, when an html document that only gets four or five requests per day suddenly gets hundreds, somethings probably up.

I'd post additional renders, but don't have anything that couldn't be done as well or better in Indigo. Really, who cares about seeing another Cornell Box or skylight image anyway. It's been done to death.

In any case, I've since switched to Reyes as my toy renderer algorithm of choice. Somehow I think that's a bit antithetical to the main interest on this forum.

Anyway, I've been following the progress of Indigo since the very first IOTD image on Flipcode. It's progress in the intervening time has been quite impressive. Every programmer dreams that their raytracer might one day be used by other people. As far as I know, Indigo is the only recent one that's actually achieved that.

Xman

Post by Xman » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi steckles
Are you in the working?
have news?
Intel i7-920,RAM 3G ,GeForce 9800GTX+.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1