I Draw Comics - kickstarter.com project.

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Headroom
Indigo 100

I Draw Comics - kickstarter.com project.

Post by Headroom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Just saw this and thought I'd post it. Only thin I have to figure out how to get two of the se. One for my 11 year old son and one for myself ;-)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bra ... ence-guide
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

PureSpider

Re: I Draw Comics - kickstarter.com project.

Post by PureSpider » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:01 pm

On topic of kickstarter projects:
I ask you to pledge for this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/105 ... -gameboard
This would be so awesome to have as a huge P&P RPG fan I am!

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:53 pm

PureSpider wrote:On topic of kickstarter projects:
I ask you to pledge for this one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/105 ... -gameboard
This would be so awesome to have as a huge P&P RPG fan I am!
Ha when I first saw that I thought it would be an interactive touchscreen monitor/virtual reality type mat that you would lay out on a table and would be able to play scrabble/chess/ D&D/etc on it. (starting up a kickstarter now, loljk).

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:32 pm

ENSLAVER wrote:touchscreen monitor/virtual reality type mat
What does "mat" refer to in this context ?
obsolete asset

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:43 pm

The project I posted is by the guys also making brassmonkey and they want to realize a "game mat" equivalent using their brassmonkey technology for it, meaning you control the "mat", which is on your computer or tv screen (if connected to your computer :D), using your android or iOS phone as a controller.
Their technology really works well and is really responsive, try it out with a few games on their site!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:42 am

Well not everyone owns a smartphone... why call an application "mat", ethymologically was my question... but... thanks, I guess :/ *raises shoulders*
obsolete asset

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:28 am

CTZn wrote:
I guess I was dreaming too far into the future, a mat would be something you could roll out, store away, etc. I don't know why but the idea of playing a board game on a tv just seems really wrong to me. It would be like playing any other video game and lose everything that makes board games special.

However if they laid the tv (touchscreen) flat on the table and had it running through a moderately powerful computing system, perhaps the power of an xbox360/ps3 but built into the screen, you could do some amazing things with thousands of board games ready to go.

Another way would be to have a mat that rolled out, and was camera tracked with the game data overlaid in headsets (google glass style). You really could have a 3D game of chess with animated pieces, fighting, blood, whatever. I know they can do most of it already (google glass+kinect+some more processing power) they just have to put them together.

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:13 am

ENSLAVER wrote:I don't know why but the idea of playing a board game on a tv just seems really wrong to me. It would be like playing any other video game and lose everything that makes board games special.
This thing is specifically designed for Pen and Paper RPGs, not just any kind of board game and it is called mat because you usually move your character tiles and monster tiles on real mat with a grid and the landscape etc. drawn on it.
This "game" just takes the hassle out of drawing a new mat every round of the game and keeping your tiles organized, you would still have to have your "real" character sheet and dice, for example.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:38 am

Ah I got it, I was thinking of a neologism for a concept while it was plain english ! PureSpider hinted me finally:
you usually move your character tiles and monster tiles on real mat
and googling for images achieved the teaching. Woops :mrgreen:
ENSLAVER wrote:
CTZn wrote:
I guess I was dreaming too far into the future
I don't think so, because the technology exists virtually. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/fabric-pc1.htm I don't give it a decade before some industrialization, there's probably a reliable DoA into that article.

The good aspect as far as I'm concerned is that the electromagnetic fields used in telecommunications and produced by the devices would be way less powerfull, at last. Nano antennaes will rock the field I bet.
obsolete asset

9 posts • Page 1 of 1