[REQ]shader editor ?

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
everwind
Indigo 100

[REQ]shader editor ?

Post by everwind » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 am

Wouldn't it be cool to have a shader editor like the material editor (maybe inside the material editor), to see how our shader looks exactly and immediately ?

And maybe with few different presets and better documentation about how to use it ?

Indigo shader language looks fantastic but actually I am just unable to use it as I know it is possible :-D

everwind
Indigo 100

Re: [REQ]shader editor ?

Post by everwind » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:23 am

Hum, I don't know if you really understood what I meant but what I wanted to tell is that it would be fantastic to have an editor for ISL with something like ... maybe a nodal system like in a lot of other softwares (maybe some nodes to mix/multiply/convert/import/preview ... with a direct preview of the shader applied to a plan.

I don't think that it would be very complicated but it would be great for indigo 2.4 for accessibility :-)

Josh
Indigo 100

Re: [REQ]shader editor ?

Post by Josh » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:08 am

I really would appreciate such a shader editor. It doesn't need to be a graphical node editor (in fact I like plain programming more :wink: ), but syntax highlighting, a list of built-in functions/auto-completion, quick help on parameters and, like everwind proposed, a way to preview the shader as a map would be very helpful with developing shaders.

Many others mentioned the potential of ISL (and galinette recently proved it), but it is still too much time-comsuming trial and error when using it.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1