Page 1 of 1
[REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:15 pm
by Doug Armand
Re:Material Editor
Would it possible to set in options a default name for uv_set ?.
I use Blender and it names UV sets as 'UVTex' by default and it would be nice to tell Material Editor to use this as the uv_set by default. I assume other modelling program do something similar with naming?
Problem at the moment is that unless I use 'default' as UVset in Blender, also a pain, I have to change it in Material Editor. If its a complex material this is annoying and time consuming - especially as I normally notice the mistake only when I start rendering.
Even worse if I change in Material Editor the 'default' uv_set to 'UVTex' then Material Editor won't test render.
Means a lot of changing uv_sets !
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:37 am
by suvakas
Wouldn't it be more logical to build the exporter to be compatible with Indigo and not the other way around ?
No other exporter uses "UVTex" as far as I know. "default" has been ..well..the default for a long time already. I'd say this is a req for Blendigo.
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:38 am
by pixie
@suvakas:
+1
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:39 am
by fused
Aye. Iirc, Nick advised exporter devs quite a long time ago that the default uv set name should be "default".
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:51 am
by Doug Armand
suvakas wrote:Wouldn't it be more logical to build the exporter to be compatible with Indigo and not the other way around ?
No other exporter uses "UVTex" as far as I know. "default" has been ..well..the default for a long time already. I'd say this is a req for Blendigo.
I don't really care at what point it happens just so long as it's easy for me.
edited:
I still think it's a design fault that if you change the uv_set in Material Editor to anything other than 'default' it wont test render the material - seems a bit limiting to me.
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:35 am
by suvakas
Users should not be able to edit the UV set names at all (in my opinion).
All material preview models should use the UV set named "default" and that's it.
And all exporters should be compatible to that behaviour.
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:14 am
by Doug Armand
suvakas wrote:Users should not be able to edit the UV set names at all (in my opinion).
All material preview models should use the UV set named "default" and that's it.
And all exporters should be compatible to that behaviour.
Well as long as it's consistent and easy I'm not bothered how it's done.
Does anyone know how to set up Blender to use 'default' as a default name for UV's?
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:35 am
by Zom-B
suvakas wrote:...All material preview models should use the UV set named "default" and that's it...
maybe a litle OT, but what about multiple UV sets for a mesh file... am I the only one missing this feature?!
If someday maybe available, automated UV names like default2, default3 etc. would be the way to go... wouldn't it?
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:39 am
by suvakas
You can't tweak UV's of preview model anyway. Why would you need multiple UV sets for preview ?
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:28 am
by StompinTom
How about the exporters just change any UV set names to 'default' when using the material preview? I know what you mean, and it is a bitch, but I haven't found a way in Blender to call the default UV sets anything other than UVTex. You can change the name by looking under F9, in the Mesh panel, where it says UV Texture and has a list of all your UV sets. But for multiple objects it's a hassle...
What if, as a way of troubleshooting it, if the material can't find the specified UV set when it renders, it just uses the first available UV set on the object? So if the material is asking for 'default', but the object only has 'UVTex', Indigo switches to that... sort of an auto-detection that would save a lot of time.
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:06 pm
by Doug Armand
StompinTom wrote:How about the exporters just change any UV set names to 'default' when using the material preview? I know what you mean, and it is a bitch, but I haven't found a way in Blender to call the default UV sets anything other than UVTex. You can change the name by looking under F9, in the Mesh panel, where it says UV Texture and has a list of all your UV sets. But for multiple objects it's a hassle...
What if, as a way of troubleshooting it, if the material can't find the specified UV set when it renders, it just uses the first available UV set on the object? So if the material is asking for 'default', but the object only has 'UVTex', Indigo switches to that... sort of an auto-detection that would save a lot of time.
Good suggestions - I'd be happy if the exporter automatically changed any uv sets to 'default'.
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:26 pm
by suvakas
Exactly! That's how 3ds Max exporter works. So I'm telling you guys, it's a request for Blendigo.
Re: [REQ] Material Editor - UV_set name.
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:43 pm
by Doug Armand
suvakas wrote:Exactly! That's how 3ds Max exporter works. So I'm telling you guys, it's a request for Blendigo.
OK I'll make a request in Blender forum for this