[REQ] Backface-Culling!

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
lycium

Re: [REQ] Backface-Culling!

Post by lycium » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:22 pm

point taken :) i have some thoughts about how it might work (eg. only splatting the contributions that are some particular distance away from the cam), but these need to be checked for physical consistency. edit: instead of distance-from-cam, a test to see if it's in front of a given plane (or set of planes). this will probably work just fine.

just to clarify, what i was referring to about being unphysical is actually doing backface culling, near-plane clipping etc. - actually changing the scene geometry in a directionally-dependent (i.e. inconsistent) way.

delle

Post by delle » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:28 pm

lyc wrote:point taken :) i have some thoughts about how it might work (eg. only splatting the contributions that are some particular distance away from the cam), but these need to be checked for physical consistency.

just to clarify, what i was referring to about being unphysical is actually doing backface culling, near-plane clipping etc. - actually changing the scene geometry in a directionally-dependent (i.e. inconsistent) way.
Thank you :mrgreen:

It would be nice if all rays would bounce normally, but when they hit the camera (the film) Indigo does this simple check. Where this ray cames from? The point is behind the front plane clipping? Yes-->Discard it...

Donno if it's possible :roll:

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:56 pm

I think it can be achieved through hacking, surely, but without leaving the pureness of indigo physical consistency and all that philosophical POVs so keen to indigo. If the scene was to be backed onto the objects which is derived from it could then slice the objects without interfering with the correctness of the scene, because it would be kept calculating as if there was no cut, the clipping would be on a layer above.

To sum it up, there is no spoon.

delle

Post by delle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:39 pm

pixie wrote:I think it can be achieved through hacking, surely, but without leaving the pureness of indigo physical consistency and all that philosophical POVs so keen to indigo. If the scene was to be backed onto the objects which is derived from it could then slice the objects without interfering with the correctness of the scene, because it would be kept calculating as if there was no cut, the clipping would be on a layer above.

To sum it up, there is no spoon.
Ok, I see... But do you have an idea to render a Bathroom like this, with a FOV like the one indicated, with Indigo? Of course I'd like to have the reflection of the door in the mirror :wink:

EDIT: At the moment, the only chance I have is to create an aperture into the wall, of course the aperture becomes visible into reflections (mirros, shower's glass,...) and alters the light bouncing. To create a fake aperture into the wall how physically accurate is it?

:roll:
Attachments
small_bathroom.jpg
small_bathroom.jpg (7.41 KiB) Viewed 3680 times

lycium

Post by lycium » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:31 am

i spoke with nick about this briefly yesterday and we had a little think about how it can be done. no promises of course but some investigations into such a feature could be done; things are crazy busy at glare, but the issue has been raised and is hopefully on a TODO somewhere :)

delle

Post by delle » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:52 am

lyc wrote:i spoke with nick about this briefly yesterday and we had a little think about how it can be done. no promises of course but some investigations into such a feature could be done; things are crazy busy at glare, but the issue has been raised and is hopefully on a TODO somewhere :)
Thank you very much!!!

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:33 am

I'm starting a big commercial project on Monday and missing Camera Clipping feature is the only reason why I can't use Indigo. I need to model a large office space and I need to do a rendering from top down without the ceiling being visible. But ceiling should still block the light, cause the sun usually don't shine trough the ceiling. With camera clipping it would be easy to do.
So I also add my REQ for this feature.

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:44 am

+1
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:54 am

Brain jam, based on suv's case. Ceiling is the "trigged" object:

Code: Select all

if (camera ray hits ceiling first) {
	kill ray;
}
else if (ray hits ceiling) {
	split ray > ray1 ray2;
	ray1 continues contribution;
	ray2 inherits ray trajectory;
	if (ray2 hits camera) {
		sample;
	}
}
It's very presumptuous, but it's working for me :mrgreen:
obsolete asset

dmn
3rd Place Winner

Post by dmn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:44 pm

+1!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:23 am

But if that was that easy I would be famous and coding Keluxgo :?
obsolete asset

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:24 pm

suvakas wrote:I'm starting a big commercial project on Monday and missing Camera Clipping feature is the only reason why I can't use Indigo. I need to model a large office space and I need to do a rendering from top down without the ceiling being visible. But ceiling should still block the light, cause the sun usually don't shine trough the ceiling. With camera clipping it would be easy to do.
That's a pity that you couldn't use Indigo.
Camera clipping / backface culling seems to be one of those horrible hacks that architects really need, so I'll have a look at adding it in after 2.2 stable is done.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:21 pm

OnoSendai wrote:
suvakas wrote:I'm starting a big commercial project on Monday and missing Camera Clipping feature is the only reason why I can't use Indigo. I need to model a large office space and I need to do a rendering from top down without the ceiling being visible. But ceiling should still block the light, cause the sun usually don't shine trough the ceiling. With camera clipping it would be easy to do.
That's a pity that you couldn't use Indigo.
Camera clipping / backface culling seems to be one of those horrible hacks that architects really need, so I'll have a look at adding it in after 2.2 stable is done.
If possible, please look into clipping at any arbitrary plane. This should allow SketchUp section cut renders which would be a major selling feature for the SketchUp community.

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:10 pm

OnoSendai wrote: That's a pity that you couldn't use Indigo.
Great to hear that !!

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:32 pm

Whaat wrote: If possible, please look into clipping at any arbitrary plane. This should allow SketchUp section cut renders which would be a major selling feature for the SketchUp community.
:!: INDEED! :!:

50 posts