Issues with .IGI's and auto-saving.

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Godzilla
Indigo 100

Issues with .IGI's and auto-saving.

Post by Godzilla » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:33 pm

Has anyone ever noticed that if saving of an .IGI is interrupted (Your computer freezes, Indigo freezes, whatever), if you resume the render, there is a line on the render? (Where everything below/above the line is much much darker than above/below the line)

Obviously caused by the Interrupted saving process, but it would be nice if there was a fix for this, because when I am rendering at high-resolutions, it isn't very uncommon for it to happen (And keep in mind my computer isn't exactly 'old' , so I'm sure i'm not the only one who is experiencing such events.)
samlavoie.xyz

eman7613

Re: Issues with .IGI's and auto-saving.

Post by eman7613 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Interrupting the saving of any file will cause problems - kinda like asking to fix the problem of power going out when power lines get cut :twisted:

And that sounds like a you only problem - ive never had that on any of my machines
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:26 pm

eman7613 wrote:Interrupting the saving of any file will cause problems - kinda like asking to fix the problem of power going out when power lines get cut :twisted:

And that sounds like a you only problem - ive never had that on any of my machines
However, there may be a "fix" anyway. unlike power, igi saving is (as i understand it) simply the rewriting of the igi everytime the save period comes up right?

it could be possible to make it a 2 (technically 3) stage process:
1. Write a temporary igi.
2. Ovewrite old igi (only if new igi is complete, theres probably an "end" tag in the file so look for that or something)
3. Check if new & old igi are the same (if so delete new igi)

rinse-repeat :)
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Damn, that sux. Apparently MoveFileEx isn't atomic on Windows like I thought, although Vista onwards added an atomic file replace operation. So maybe I'll add atomic IGI update support for Vista onwards.

Godzilla
Indigo 100

Post by Godzilla » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:28 am

Borgleader wrote:
eman7613 wrote:Interrupting the saving of any file will cause problems - kinda like asking to fix the problem of power going out when power lines get cut :twisted:

However, there may be a "fix" anyway. unlike power, igi saving is (as i understand it) simply the rewriting of the igi everytime the save period comes up right?

it could be possible to make it a 2 (technically 3) stage process:
1. Write a temporary igi.
2. Ovewrite old igi (only if new igi is complete, theres probably an "end" tag in the file so look for that or something)
3. Check if new & old igi are the same (if so delete new igi)

rinse-repeat :)
Exactly what I was thinking of... but was too lazy to type out. :wink:
samlavoie.xyz

5 posts • Page 1 of 1