[BUG] No caustics through glass

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
StompinTom
Indigo 100

[BUG] No caustics through glass

Post by StompinTom » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:14 am

hey all
heres a little comparison, same exact scene, the only difference being the close up one is viewed through a modelled lens. as you can see, the first one has some amazing caustic effects, while the second one seems to skip these. any ideas nick?

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:25 am

the only thing i could think of is the maximum number of consecutive rejections (its set at about 100 in both of them), alluding to someones experiment (i forget who) in which the number of reflections in a mirrored room depended on this number. maybe the same happens for refractions?

weird though, cuz in the first picture, the caustics formed immediately. thats a 2 minute rendering. the second one was rendering for a good 10 hours or so.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:47 pm

Hi Tom,
first off, great image! you never fail to impress :)

The scene is different, perhaps that could account for the difference in caustics?
what Indigo version are u using? it may be a bi-dir bug

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:44 am

its the exact same scene, just from a different angle and with a glass lens placed in front of the camera to get the fisheye effect. im using 0.6test6 with bidir enable, 100 max number of consecutive rejections. i tried upping the number to 1000 but didnt let it render long enough to see if they maybe develop over a much longer time, it didnt look it.

Maluminas

Post by Maluminas » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:25 am

Thats weird, i cant load the images... My browser stays stuck on (2 items remaining) and they never load lol...

EDIT: What the hell :? The pics loaded after i posted this message. Strange, this morning i let it try to load for nearly half an hour while getting ready for school lol...

5 posts • Page 1 of 1