Request for RGB emitter lights

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
neo0.

Request for RGB emitter lights

Post by neo0. » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:04 am

It would be nice if there was a setting called glow. Yep, I know tonemapping can do glow, but that affects your entire render. Emitting light and glowing aren't the same thing afaik.

crojack

Post by crojack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:31 am

Do you just post this crap up without reading any other parts of the forum?
:roll:

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:53 am

I have read and I've experimented.

crojack

Post by crojack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:55 am

well, if you had than you would know that this is already a part of Indigo!

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:57 am

I've tried using RGP emitters, if that's what you're talking about, but it just colors the material.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:23 am

I've tried using RGP emitters [...] but it just colors the material.
That was the point to start with, neo0. Maybe you are using stronger lights beside ? if you can set RGB values above 1, or try to find a multiplier for them, try 100 or so or even (much) more if you use sun light too. 1 would be extra weak compared to sun light energy I guess, I'm not experimented much with emission yet, but power mismatch between light sources even turned classic mesh emiters black !

You really should have asked in the skindigo forum before putting the red light on neo0., since you said yourself you were a newbie you are not able to identify what a bug is, frankly said. If Whaat tells you that's a bug, then you can post here. Talking about "bugs".

Requests are on but please think twice before :)

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:16 pm

Well, admitantly I have gotten it to work on several occasions, but there are two problems with it
  • It makes the object's sorroundings very bright.

What if you have something that you want to make glow, but you don't want to make everythign around it ultra bright?
  • Conplicates tonemapping.. Anytime you hae a meshalight seems like you need to use camera tonemapping and that takes someplaying around with to get right.
Sindigo doesn't support linear tonemapping yet, but I guess that would help too..

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:35 pm

You can access all three tonemapping modes through Indigo user interface, if linear and camera show burned then lower layer master gain until it looks right.

Now I can't answer the thing about emission coz I lack experience on that.
obsolete asset

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:21 pm

It would be a lot simpler to simlpy check "glow" then have to play with ientensity and tonemapping.

rgigante

Post by rgigante » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:55 pm

Light "glow" intended as a per-light post-process effect isn't a physical based effect. Hence, I think it won't be anytime implemented. To obtain glow please use the ready-to-use aperture diffraction.

Regards, Riccardo

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:21 pm

crojack wrote:Do you just post this crap up without reading any other parts of the forum?
+1

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:46 am

crojack wrote:Do you just post this crap up without reading any other parts of the forum?
Exactly what in his post made you wrote such an elaborated reply? Do you felt that somehow you'd lost your precious time and therefore someone had to pay? If you at least post the multiple links to another related threads 'all over the forum' i would at least be constructive instead of being destructive.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:35 am

neo0. wrote:Well, admitantly I have gotten it to work on several occasions, but there are two problems with it
  • It makes the object's sorroundings very bright.

What if you have something that you want to make glow, but you don't want to make everythign around it ultra bright?
  • Conplicates tonemapping.. Anytime you hae a meshalight seems like you need to use camera tonemapping and that takes someplaying around with to get right.
Sindigo doesn't support linear tonemapping yet, but I guess that would help too..
setting your lights and camera settings to real-world values will go a long way to helping you out. take a camera and snap some pictures in the approximate lighting conditions that youre after. note the f-stop and aperature value as well as the film ISO. plug em into Indigo.

stuff glows because it emits light so it would be absolutely pointless to have a 'glow' option without light being emitted.

Indigo is fundamentally based on physical properties and phenomena so anything fake wont exactly fly. if you wanna fake something, youd do best to research how they did special effects in photography and movies back before CG VFX.

also, dont ever underestimate the power of post-processing. Photoshop is your digital darkroom: there is rarely an amazing, drop-dead-gorgeous rendering that doesnt involve at least some form of postpro. think of it as another tool in your toolbox. THATs where you can distort reality in your image.

crojack

Post by crojack » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:44 am

pixie wrote:
Exactly what in his post made you wrote such an elaborated reply? Do you felt that somehow you'd lost your precious time and therefore someone had to pay? If you at least post the multiple links to another related threads 'all over the forum' i would at least be constructive instead of being destructive.

sorry, but he posts stuff all over the forums in multiple forums with very little info of what he is talking about. it gets tiring and I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this. he even admits in this thread that what he originally posted isn't really what he is talking about.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:55 am

I would add that even his topic has nothing to do with his post ;), still it's his call to better explain his thoughts so those willing to help can, otherwise most would/will just skip it altogether.

47 posts