Violet update?

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
BbB

Violet update?

Post by BbB » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:43 am

With all these new filters and the diffraction code, wouldn't it be nice to have the possibility to apply them in post in Violet? I find aperture diffraction to be a major drag on render time now when rendering large formats. Presumably, it would only really need to be applied once when the render is finished... The same applies to camera tonemapping. It would save many a test render if we could tweak shutter speed and film sensitivity in Violet.

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:49 am

well, all the (j)Violet source is freely available. The problem is finding someone who is expert enough in implementing those algorithms and getting them to put them into (j)violet.

Given that it could be done in either of 2 languages (c++/java) surely increases the likelihood of finding a competent developer?

I agree though, having camera tonemapping in particular external to indigo would be very cool indeed.

jurasek

Re: Violet update?

Post by jurasek » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:43 am

BbB wrote:...The same applies to camera tonemapping. It would save many a test render if we could tweak shutter speed and film sensitivity in Violet.
up, up

greetz,
jur

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:00 am

BTW, the only settings available to the camera tonemapping process are:
1. the camera response function
2. EV adjust
3. Film ISO

exposure duration (shutter speed) is functions of indigo's camera and not the tonemapping post-process.

BbB

Post by BbB » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Good point. But still, there's a lot you can do with ISO and EV Adjust. Enough for me in any case.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1