Stop rendering with the keyboard

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
dogfin

Stop rendering with the keyboard

Post by dogfin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:44 am

I was curious if the next version of indigo could read the keyboard for a character or something that would stop the program. Like if I press 'x' from the terminal I started indigo from, it would shut down.

Basically I've been writing a front end for myself to help with animations and haven't been able to use it on anything higher than 0.5. Right now I'm just using Java's process.destroy () method, which I hear is frowned upon anyway. No biggie, just something to think about. Keep up the good work man!

dogfin -

m1j

Post by m1j » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:44 am

I use alt+F4. Works just fine.

I use a c++ program to build my scene and output the XML file then calls indigo to render. When I am ready to end the render I hit alt+F4. Indigo goes through its last bit of shutting down then it ends.

atmmatt

Post by atmmatt » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:13 am

I would like to see a render pause or a way to save the render where it's at and if you so wanted you could start from where you left off and keep on rendering it. It eats up my computer resources and doing it overnight, work during the day render overnight etc would be very nice. I suppose you could also write something in c or c++ to schedule the rendering cycles.
"To be, or not to be" That is a question?

lego

Post by lego » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:41 am

I use ctrl-c

it would be nice to have a key that does "save and exit"
so you don't risk to have a corrupted image

and it would be also nice to have indigo save on two files: the current render, and a backup one (maybe created only 10 normal saves)
so that if Indigo crashes while saving you'd still have a not so old render :)

boweeb007

Post by boweeb007 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:42 pm

It was a very old post (probably on the old forum site) that I remember nick mentioning that ctrl-c was not a good idea. The official way to close indigo, without risk of a corrupted image, is to close the rendering window. Therefore an alt-f4 command to that window (like m1j said) would be more recommended.

dogfin

Post by dogfin » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:18 am

ctrl-c and alt-f4 are nice and all, but it would be way better if indigo could just read keyboard input. Not only would it allow for better scripting and front ends, but it would also be a step towards indigo running on a headless system. Not all of my computers have monitors, or even video cards. I use them for grunt work like compiling and rendering. I would love to use indigo on them.

Back when I first posted this I was thinking that it would be a great way for nick (is that his name?) to get away from the graphics stuff and take a break on some easy interface stuff. Halt time is also nice, but I only use muts per pixel in my frontends. Maybe all this will happen on 0.7, hehe 8) .

dogfin -

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:23 am

i would like it also, i have some old animations that i would love to run in indego! .5 is just to slow though :( PLus would alow for easy benchmarking
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

8bstudio

Post by 8bstudio » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:29 am

Try "Dshutdown" utility by Dimio, maybe it can usefull!

http://dimio.altervista.org/ita/

8 posts • Page 1 of 1