[REQ] Holy crap, microdisplacement.

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
BbB

Post by BbB » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:02 pm

It's not a hard-and-fast limit. Depends on the complexity of your geometry and whether you're using hi-res maps and how many of them.
The other problem is that anything beyond that, unless it is a very simple scene, will take ages to render, even if you can cram it in the memory. I can get reasonably clean 2400-1800 overnight renders on my quad-core, but not of all scenes. Put a lot of glass or glossy metals in it or many tiny emitters or complicated paths and you're looking at 60 hours or more.

mrCarnivore

Post by mrCarnivore » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:57 pm

Hey guys, back to the topic please. This is not a thread about how to reduce the blurriness in maxwell renders...

Could someone (Ono?) please say a positive thing about the likelihood and timeframe of an implementation of MPD in indigo?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Hi mrCarnivore.
MPD is cool, no doubt about that.
I'll definitely do some more research into it at some point, that's about all I can say right now.

BbB

Post by BbB » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:50 am

praise the lord

mrCarnivore

Post by mrCarnivore » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:55 am

OnoSendai wrote:Hi mrCarnivore.
I'll definitely do some more research into it at some point, that's about all I can say right now.
We're gonna get MPD, we're gonna get MPD... :D

No, honestly: Thx for the reply and the positive response. Hope you will find time for it soon and the implementation is doable. Although I fear that it will be a lot more difficult than SSS or exit portals, so it may take some time...

Frances

Post by Frances » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:39 am

deleted because it was off-topic :oops:
Last edited by Frances on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrCarnivore

Post by mrCarnivore » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:15 am

Frances wrote:
mrCarnivore wrote:Hey guys, back to the topic please. This is not a thread about how to reduce the blurriness in maxwell renders...
This method works to help produce cleaner images and solve aliasing problems in any unbiased renderer. Sorry if you didn't see any value in the advice.
There definitely is value in almost any advice and in there definitely IS value in your advice, but the topic has nothing to do with this thread. I didn't mean to be rude, and it surely wasn't your fault to let the topic drift away, just wanted to remind everyone not to hijack other threads, but to discuss valueable tips and tricks in a different thread were they belong. Otherwise nobody will ever find that information ever again if he is looking for it...

But back to celebrating MPD and that Ono promised to implement it asap. ;-)

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:07 am

OnoSendai wrote:Hi mrCarnivore.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
mrCarnivore wrote:Otherwise nobody will ever find that information ever again if he is looking for it...
I guess, that poorly already is the case....

Look at how many newbies don't find their way, through the getting started part...

I guess, Indigo should have an a bit more intuitive hp...

maybe, even a "how to use the forums" manual - not the actual forum rules, but, where you can find what, and some good threads, linked directly (it also would be cool, if there was an auto actualizing link in that page, searching for newer stable and beta releases)
mrCarnivore wrote:Hey guys, back to the topic please.
Ok, I'll do my best, that should be the last off topic in this thread^^

manitwo

Post by manitwo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:43 am

Kram1032 wrote:
mrCarnivore wrote:Otherwise nobody will ever find that information ever again if he is looking for it...
I guess, that poorly already is the case....

Look at how many newbies don't find their way, through the getting started part...
you're right. and why is that? cause people who doesnt have something valuable to say do sport-posting. (this isn't related to your posts above but you know you are a person who loves talking ... and you're absolutely not the only one).
i dont want to be the one who's complaining again but it looks like i'm not the only one who's tired of reading through "turned-into-offtopic"-threads and your quote motivated me to write something.

... and yes, i know this also isn't something which belongs in this topic. :)

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:23 am

The forum is full of off-topic crap and stupidity and then when someone actually talks seriously about 3D, then he/she has to change the subject?

The info about high resolutions and Maxwell was very interesting to me.
Much more than the usual Kram vs Delta bs. (no offense guys)

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:52 am

That me vs. Delta was very extreme, indeed. :oops:
In the final state, it was too much, even for me :shock:

I actually don't really think, that these hires infos are that extremely off topic. It's just an info in between :)

Ordering the forums is hard as hell. (For both the users, who usually fail and the mods, who usually fail, too) Spammers are the extreme, but no theme can be kept on track for 100% - That actually'd be unnatural. It'd be an illness, to keep the track: autism :?.
Changing the theme actually is the way, how communication works, more or less, or at least a part of the way. :)

---OK... that really was off topic^^---

xrok1

Post by xrok1 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:57 am

hey guys how about using a different color font when a post is off subject? that way poeple who are interested in the subject can skim through the shit. consider it a respect thing. maybe we could even get a special off topic tool button added up top, for casual yapping?

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:00 am

interesting idea... but red is the wrong colour - red makes important ;)

xrok1

Post by xrok1 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:08 am

that's the spirit. blue it is. BTW Kram did you notice the edit button? :lol: or the off topic thread? :lol:

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:25 am

why the edit button? Yeah, I mentioned it to you...
I also noticed the off topic section, yes... but no one stops with OT (and sometimes, as you did, they even ask me for something, so I answer them...)

96 posts