a "scale reference" object ?

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Stur

a "scale reference" object ?

Post by Stur » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:18 am

Hi,

When we model in blender (or anything else), we usually don't pay attention to the absolute size of our meshes, as we model objects relatives to each other, it's more convenient (well, perhaps I should say "I don't pay attention to the absolute size ...", lol).
To have a 15m high vase is not a matter if the other objects are sized relatively.
But in Indigo, I've read here and there that it is important. I've also read that 1 unit in blender corresponds to 1m in Indigo. Well, ok, but it's easy to loose the reference unit when zooming and dezooming. And what about scale with other modeling applications ?

So, what do you think, people, of a "scale reference" object ? What about an only "two vertices / one edge" object with a specific name (eg. "scaleReference", or "scaleReference-1m", or "scaleReference-1cm", ...) that modelers would include in there scenes. This object would be interpreted by the exporters which would redim all the scene relatively to the reference ?
Or, why not, the reference would be translated in an xml tag and Indigo, if Ono agrees, would make the redim.

I'm intersted by your opinions. :)

tinuvielle

Post by tinuvielle » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:39 am

My opinion is that it's not indigo's role, as a pure renderer, to do this job. Indigo relies on a convention (probably more than one actually ;) ) that the unit used is meters. It's the modeler's duty to generate objects attached to units. In the case of blender, I tend to consider it is the exporter's job to compute the right coordinates, based on references either implicit (which is currently the case, 1 unit = 1 meter), either explicit, as you suggest.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1