Black Render - Tonemapping bug

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
NEO-N
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Black Render - Tonemapping bug

Post by NEO-N » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi,

New Indigo user here, and I'm testing a bit everything. I'll create a new post about my personnal feedback but until then I would like to fix an issue I found :

I'm using a hi quality HDRI, and when I change the tonemapping mode from Reinhard to anything else, it dosen't work. My render (scene) goes black. I changed values, nothing. So It might be a bug.
I'm trying to get a hi-dynamic range image (just in the Realtime preview, not at the export, I would export in EXR in this case) and Reinhard dosen't give me the best results. I would like to try Filmic and the others.

indigo-for-cinema-4d-4.0.64 - C4D R18

fused
Developer

Re: Black Render - Tonemapping bug

Post by fused » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi NEO-N,

first of all, welcome!

The reason this happens is because the light source is not powerful enough, the image is so very much underexposed, that the tonemapping sliders don't seem to have any effect.

The default emission spectrum is RGB, but by default RGB spectra are very low power. You could either fix this by using the "emssion scale" feature, by increasing the "gain" of the RGB spectrum, or by using a different emission spectrum, for example blackbody, which is more powerful.

It's a gotcha that I am aware of, and it would be nice if a default RGB spectrum in emitters had enough power that it would show up with reasonable camera settings (exposure, f-stop, etc).

NEO-N

Post by NEO-N » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi fused, thank you for the welcome and your help! It makes sense but unfortunetely, I just did a test using blackbody (and others) still nothing, still black. I cramp up values very high just to see if I was not too low...still black :)

I'm starting to think it's a bug. Only Reinhard works. Should I try RT and see if the problem is still here? Is there a way to have some log/console? Something to help you. Is anybody can try it out ?

Meanwhile your reply, I tried almost everything (I think). I tried to use blackbody emission, emission scale, sampling factor everything. Still black.

It works tho using sky (procedural, no texture). Quite weird. So we know that it works (tonemapping) but not using hdri. They are unclipped hi quality paid HDRI that I used in other renderer without any issue of exposure.

NEO-N

Post by NEO-N » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:29 pm

UPDATE :

It works. Since I changed a lot of values without having a results I don't know what exactly made it work.

Current workflow : Indigo Material > diffuse type > color 0% brightness > base emission : Emission Scale ON + Lumen 100000

EDIT : After more tests, Emission scale ON made it work.

Camera using filmic. No Linear 1.0 with 2.2 gamma? Additionally with OCIO on top of it would be amazing. It will be in my feedback for a next post.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1