Virtual IES

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Virtual IES

Post by pixie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:28 am

It would be great if one could create a IES out of say, the light emmited out of a chandelier, one might have in the long run a way to have a light which cleans way faster.

Eneen

Re: Virtual IES

Post by Eneen » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:13 am

Maybe currently easiest way is to create bulbs with very simple geometry and assign IES spotlight profile to null material with emission. Then make bulb glass and rest of chandelier from arch glass with single face option active. It will be fake (no refraction), but for sure will be fast. IES on non flat or subdivided geometry behaves like small spotlights on each quad, check yourself. I use it to make led strips.
I haven't tried it myself yet but have it on todo list.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Virtual IES

Post by pixie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:30 am

Eneen wrote:Maybe currently easiest way is to create bulbs with very simple geometry and assign IES spotlight profile to null material with emission. Then make bulb glass and rest of chandelier from arch glass with single face option active. It will be fake (no refraction), but for sure will be fast. IES on non flat or subdivided geometry behaves like small spotlights on each quad, check yourself. I use it to make led strips.
I haven't tried it myself yet but have it on todo list.
Well the idea would be afterwards using this new ies with all it's shadow/lightning in such a setup.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1