[REQ] DPI settings inside Indigo +

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

[REQ] DPI settings inside Indigo +

Post by Originalplan® » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:51 am

[Some backstory for the request]
So i came across a tricky situation in workflow.
I have some projects archived in .igi with presets and settings/textures etc from C4D.
And for the project the saved settings are perfect, but now i have to make them print ready.
Which means they have to be minimum 150DPI instead of the 72DPI i archived in originally.
-------

Yes i could open up Cinema again and change the render settings and render the projects again.
But since .igi is pretty awesome format it would be very handy to have a DPI (slider) in the Indigo main app UI.
So you could change the settings inside Indigo and not the host app.

++
I think it would be a nice addition too if there where some pre defined sizing presets especially for print workflow. ( A0,A4,A5,B0,B1..etc ) Combined with the DPI settings it could be a very versatile feature. And you could easily edit or re-render already archived projects to different formats. Like stills from an animation or some product renders.

------

It's just something for the future. And i think a feature like this could save some time in scenarios like this or when you need your render in certain industry standard sizes.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 16.27.42.png

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: [REQ] DPI settings inside Indigo +

Post by Oscar J » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:46 am

Agree about print presets, could be useful. DPI settings could be hidden away in the preferences panel in the image saving options though, as they don't have any effect on the actual rendering (should only be image meta data right?)

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:44 am

Oscar J wrote: DPI settings could be hidden away in the preferences panel in the image saving options though, as they don't have any effect on the actual rendering (should only be image meta data right?)
Well they could be hidden. Since we only need to have a slider or a drop down with 3 max 4 options :
72-150-300 (max600), 300DPI usually tops high quality printing needs, anything above 400DPI is a very special setup. As for the effect on rendering it does have an effect but minimal in rendering time. Since the render should have higher pixel density on a lossless format like TIFF or EXR. It depends on the resolution/DPI setting of your project. Will run some test on this i'm curious.

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:04 am

Ok here are the DPI time differences in render time and settings.
Run with a standard A5 size :

TEST 1
W: 14.8cm H: 21cm = Res 72DPI = Adds up to a 419x595 pixel density picture.
Rendertime : 20sec on Dual GPU fixed 2000ssp

TEST 2
W: 14.8cm H: 21cm = Res 300DPI = Adds up to a 1748 x 2480 pixel density picture.
Rendertime : 5m 13s on Dual GPU fixed 2000ssp

See pics below.
Attachments
A5_72DPI.jpg
A5_72DPI
A5_300DPI.jpg
A5_300DPI
72DPI_Settings_pixelcount.png
72DPI
300DPI_settings_pixelcount.png
300DPI

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:53 pm

So this is just a request to add different sizing options, i.e. dimensions and dpi, instead of just the pixel dims? I guess I can get behind that. although it's really just a matter of simple multiplication...

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:20 pm

FakeShamus wrote:So this is just a request to add different sizing options, i.e. dimensions and dpi, instead of just the pixel dims? I guess I can get behind that. although it's really just a matter of simple multiplication...
Yep it's simple multiplication. But it can get tricky really fast since you wont know the exact size from the pixel dims...For example: Above (in TEST 2) we know that a basic A5 is 1748 x 2480 in 300DPI...but let's say you want to render a bigger format too let's say a poster in 70x100... so how many pixels do you need to render?
On a B1 300DPI format...so you have to look it up and it takes time, more time than it should.
It is hard to calculate exact cm from pixel...

B1 / 300DPI = 8350 x 11811 Pixel.

Juju

Post by Juju » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:18 am

I attach a ZIP archive containing a text file and an image with information that may be of use to you.

I honestly don't remember where I found these, probably here on the Indigo forums...
Attachments
DPI.zip
(121.65 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Indigo 4 | skIndigo | SUpro 2018

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:35 am

yeah, I am admittedly not so familiar with the sizing parameters of A4, etc, (the U.S. rarely goes with those conventions) and it is a bit more complicated to covert to inches and then pixel dims. I think at least adding cm, mm, inches, and resolution would be a benefit for everyone.

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:54 am

Juju wrote:I attach a ZIP archive containing a text file and an image with information that may be of use to you.

I honestly don't remember where I found these, probably here on the Indigo forums...
Thank's Juju!!

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:57 am

FakeShamus wrote:yeah, I am admittedly not so familiar with the sizing parameters of A4, etc, (the U.S. rarely goes with those conventions) and it is a bit more complicated to covert to inches and then pixel dims. I think at least adding cm, mm, inches, and resolution would be a benefit for everyone.
Yeah...it's not like it needs to be in Indigo right now. It's just something for the future that would be nice to have...it is still pretty easy to open up C4D and get the right conversions. (Although C4D's conversion isn't perfect...if you don't change the resolution from display to print setting it usually ignores the DPI you put in. So a FullHD render will be 1080p on 72DPI and 2000DPI also....maybe its a BUG and i should report it to Maxon :)

Legos2112
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Legos2112 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:34 am

This it's a pretty interesting topic I have a question regarding this.

If I want a 300dpi picture from indigo but in sketchup how can I make.
Recently make a 1000×1000 resolution render the image have a nice look but if I zoom the image for a poster it suck I only get to look nice in a legal format. So someone in my office fixed with other software but it Will be nice to know how to provide a printer ready file.

Thanks for the info I was wondering how to do that justo today after all those years 🤣
Arq. Diego Moreno
@soda.gram

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:02 am

A 1000 x 1000 image will only be 300 dpi if you print it in, like, post stamp size.

Required resolution = 300 dpi * size of your printed media, in inches.

12 posts • Page 1 of 1