[Req] Save items like material (.igm)

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Jay-ko

[Req] Save items like material (.igm)

Post by Jay-ko » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Hello there,

I think it could be interesting to be able to save any element of the property Editor list as an .igs file, like for the materials.

For example, in my workflow I save the viewpoint dirrectly a file and then I select the viewpoint by an include.
(copy-paste it from the entire scene in a new text file etc...)
Attachments
PrtScr capture_395.jpg
errare humanum est

Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: [Req] Save items like material (.igm)

Post by Originalplan® » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:56 am

Jay-ko wrote:Hello there,

I think it could be interesting to be able to save any element of the property Editor list as an .igs file, like for the materials.

For example, in my workflow I save the viewpoint dirrectly a file and then I select the viewpoint by an include.
(copy-paste it from the entire scene in a new text file etc...)
Probably most users would use they fav third party 3D software to edit viewpoint's and just tweek it a bit in Indigo.

It could be interesting to see if we can make Indigo even faster on GPU's! 8)

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:13 am

Originalplan® wrote:
Probably most users would use they fav third party 3D software to edit viewpoint's and just tweek it a bit in Indigo.

It's pretty fast already, what it lacks somewhat is responsiveness. It'll come though, I think lycium has done some work on it.

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:17 am

Oscar J wrote: It's pretty fast already, what it lacks somewhat is responsiveness. It'll come though, I think lycium has done some work on it.
It's superb 1000% now. Was just thinking about it if it could... Can't wait to test what lycium did. :!:

Jay-ko

Post by Jay-ko » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:27 am

Originalplan® wrote: Probably most users would use they fav third party 3D software to edit viewpoint's and just tweek it a bit in Indigo.

Unfortunatly, all the exporters are not at the same level today.

And the purpose is not to editing, but save it (to create a reference files for exemple, ready to be shared to the team etc..)

It is preferable to share a piece of .xml instead of an entire scene of some hundred of gigabites.

Then the "include" functionality is a real added values to manage a complex scene edited by many users, more valuable than the same stuff in a thirds party 3D software of thousand $ instead of a simple text editor.

Make indigo faster on GPU is a long way.
Doing that tiny feature is a question of what? days? hours?
errare humanum est

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:50 am

You could save an igs file. Those aren't big. That will store position of your objects, as well as tone mapping etc.

There are gazillions of little features that wouldn't take long on their own to implement, but as those little things accumulate... :wink:

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:10 am

Jay-ko wrote:
Unfortunatly, all the exporters are not at the same level today.
Unfortunately yes, but Glare got some job postings for that.
It is preferable to share a piece of .xml instead of an entire scene of some hundred of gigabites. Then the "include" functionality is a real added values to manage a complex scene edited by many users, more valuable than the same stuff in a thirds party 3D software of thousand $ instead of a simple text editor.
You can send all sorts of stuff as .xml or a simple .txt..... that makes it practical for some and impratical for others.(more visual minded people) "3D software of thousand $" You probably will need some 3D app to create the (scene in) animation models etc.. Features like this makes sense course but not sure for how many.
It's kinda like the color curves funcion now. It is good that is there but when it comes to teams and big scenes you probably will colorgrade your anim or rendered image in a third party app. You can do it in Indigo too, but there are more specific stuff to do this which is build for this by the get go.

Make indigo faster on GPU is a long way.Doing that tiny feature is a question of what? days? hours?
Speed is great now. 8) .(was just commenting out loud)on a (theoretical question front) . I don't know i'm sure there are many things which still on top of some list before this. But then again it's not me you have to convince.
You could save an igs file. Those aren't big. That will store position of your objects, as well as tone mapping etc. There are gazillions of little features that wouldn't take long on their own to implement, but as those little things accumulate... 
Agreed with Oscar on this....kinda what i trying to write just in a longer fashion. igs is not that big.

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:19 am

I do this for camera data - save a copy of my scene when I have the exact view alignment / camera settings I want, then open that up in a text editor and delete all but the <camera> node (you also have to change <scene> to <scenedata>, I believe. then, I tweaked the Blendigo code a bit so I can choose to include an external camera .igs. if you use Blender I can send you the .py with these edits. actually, there should be a forum post around somewhere that I already posted the file to...

I requested Indigo export and loading of elements like this in the past, but I think the general consensus has been that it complicates things and is not very useful for most users. but I agree that it would be a help for some workflows. sometimes you get just the right tweak on things directly in Indigo and it's a bit of a pain trying to recreate it perfectly in your 3D app.

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:02 am

@FakeShamus @Jay-ko
There are gazillions of little features that wouldn't take long on their own to implement, but as those little things accumulate... :wink:
I still think Oscar has a great point.
If you guys can do this "advaced stuff" with a bit of time like FakeShamus mention thats Great i think!!
From a UI stand point it would be a mountain of a work to implement it...like each parameter with its own icon.
BUT perhaps the best way would be from a UI perspective if there would be a similar window for advanced users like the ISL window now. So you could just paste your modified code in and it would take that and apply it to the specified settings.
IMO that would be the best way to implement this in the UI.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1