Raphael Request Thread

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
Silverwing

Raphael Request Thread

Post by Silverwing » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:30 am

Hi there everybody.

I was told by some nice users that I also should post my wishes in the request thread.
Before I post a new thread for every request I have I think its better to gather all of them here :-)

If you think its better if every feature has its own request thread please tell me so!

For further info: I work with Cindigo aka Indigo for Cinema 4D :-)

The following list is priority based. Of course I only can talk for myself and my workflow ;-)

Layer shader: (for textures and other ISL shaders) Like in Photoshop. Where you can place textures / shaders on top of each other. Set their transparency and or mix them with mixing methods like add, multiply etc.

If it was to difficult to built a layer shader than at least a mix / blend shader. As in a blend material you have shader / texture slot A and shader / texture slot B and a mix value that also can be replaced with a texture or a shader.

A ramp shader: A shader where you can remap brightens and colors of a input bitmap or shader based on a ramp / curve. C4D users know what I´m talking about (Colorizer / Filter Shader). This is what I use inside the shaders the most. Just to fine tune the look of a bitmap or another shader I have loaded in.

Dirt / Ambient Occlusion shader: (with a invert normal option): Especially with the invert normals option you are able to create worn edges and all sorts of aging effects. This would also greatly benefit from a layer shader as you could multiply the dirt with a texture to get more uneven / organic results. I do stuff like this in other engines all the time.

Support for Vertex Maps: This is another way to create more organic looking textures. You for example can mix two textures based on a vertex map. It really comes in handy from time to time.

Anisotropic Reflektions / Spec: This seems to be in development as I have seen in some posts from the devs. I just want to underline that I really appreciate this feature.

This concludes my list for now.

P.s. some really awesome users already gave me some tips how to achieve some of those effects which is really nice. However I think it will definitely improve the workflow to have some if not all shaders included into Indigo.

Cheers,
Raphael
You don´t dream in cryo.

FakeShamus

Re: Raphael Request Thread

Post by FakeShamus » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:41 am

some of this got me thinking - I've been doing a lot of texture-based ISL materials lately myself and so I played around with the idea of adding and multiplying textures. this would obviously be better if implemented with a more user-friendly ui set up with actual layers, but it is possible to achieve with current ISL shaders. I am having problems uploading these to the materials database for some reason, so I'm attaching here for now.

both have parameters to allow for adjusting the amount of blending between textures. probably all of this could be improved by someone with more skillz (and I'm not 100% certain of my math on the multiply, but it seems close, at least).

your other request at the top, for a mix/blend shader is already available, unless I'm misunderstanding...

here is adding 2 textures:
2textureadd.jpg
2 texture add.pigm
(70.35 KiB) Downloaded 674 times
and here is one that multiplies:
texturemultiply.jpg
texture multiply.pigm
(70.4 KiB) Downloaded 494 times

Silverwing

Post by Silverwing » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:33 am

FakeShamus wrote:some of this got me thinking - I've been doing a lot of texture-based ISL materials lately myself and so I played around with the idea of adding and multiplying textures. this would obviously be better if implemented with a more user-friendly ui set up with actual layers, but it is possible to achieve with current ISL shaders. I am having problems uploading these to the materials database for some reason, so I'm attaching here for now.

both have parameters to allow for adjusting the amount of blending between textures. probably all of this could be improved by someone with more skillz (and I'm not 100% certain of my math on the multiply, but it seems close, at least).

your other request at the top, for a mix/blend shader is already available, unless I'm misunderstanding...

2textureadd.jpg
2 texture add.pigm
texturemultiply.jpg
texture multiply.pigm

Hey there FakeShamus,

thanks a lot for your reply!
Yes I would really appreciate a shader version with a GUI. Like I said as the C4D Layer shader.
Having said that I of course will have a look at your shaders that you share here. I really appreciate what you are doing here!

Thanks again and have a nice weekend!

Cheers,
Raphael
You don´t dream in cryo.

Behrendt

Post by Behrendt » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:04 am

Just saw these requests and support every one of them :) Especially the first 3 would be really nice for an optimized workflow.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:47 pm

I second vertex maps only, with a little scripting skills I'm finding the others futile :twisted:

To be serious silverwing I think that Indigo 3 is pretty well featured, most requests would be readily available to you, but the GUIs are hardly following up with the core features.

FakeShamus, I was pretty sure one could multiply vec3 components with a * sign right away (I used to write a multVec3 function rather), but it's the + sign that works for them. Nice demo btw !
obsolete asset

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:19 am

It all comes down whether Indigo's advanced features should be accessible for artists or just programmers.

Silverwing

Post by Silverwing » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:00 am

@ CTZn:

Thats great to hear!
As I am a simple end product user and not a coder I have to live with what I got.
Maybe this is a reason to get more in to programming ;-)

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,
Raphael
You don´t dream in cryo.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:20 am

Silverwing wrote:Maybe this is a reason to get more in to programming ;-)
Being geek-ish I would second you (I happen to have maintained a scripted exporter for Maya by this incentive), but artists are to be offered a full palette, not a data mine.

My two cents are, perhaps a bit privately though, that Indigo's reputation has reached such a mature point that it should not need be protected from uneducated users anymore. Or I'm afraid that the wrong-doing could flip side.

It has been a long pause, I'm boiling to ask for 3.9. Wait and see...

edit: and should there be a 3.9.x serie, I believe that it should focus exclusively on its UI or discard it totally for a later time. Sorry about going OT here.
obsolete asset

Juju

Post by Juju » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:17 am

CTZn wrote: It has been a long pause, I'm boiling to ask for 3.9. Wait and see...
to my knowledge, the uneven numbering of versions is reserved for internal / developer purposes and versions released into the wild all have even numbering

for instance:
version 3.9.28 : internal / developer usage
version 3.8.29 : released into the wild for public usage

note that the numbering above is completely arbitrary and doesn't refer to any actual versions
Indigo 4 | skIndigo | SUpro 2018

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:15 am

Of course, 3.8.27 then.

Or keeping forum/dev/blog news coming.

Engaging with user interaction again (product support seems to be doing alright though), releasing slightly the suffocating environment control which could be mistaken for disengagement, starting a new round of explorations even though the results would be considered at a later time, experimental zones, all that would make indigo 4 come later eventually but with a smoother taste all along.

On a side note, the current situation has me a bit confused and I'm sorry to address generic points in this here request forum. Apologies, silverwing.
obsolete asset

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:37 am

Bump!

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:11 pm

FakeShamus wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:41 am
some of this got me thinking - I've been doing a lot of texture-based ISL materials lately myself and so I played around with the idea of adding and multiplying textures. this would obviously be better if implemented with a more user-friendly ui set up with actual layers, but it is possible to achieve with current ISL shaders. I am having problems uploading these to the materials database for some reason, so I'm attaching here for now.

2textureadd.jpg
2 texture add.pigm
texturemultiply.jpg
texture multiply.pigm
You've got something quite neat here! Would it be possible to have normal and subtract too?

12 posts • Page 1 of 1