ISL fbm don´t work

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
yonosoy

ISL fbm don´t work

Post by yonosoy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:02 am

Hi.
Strange things. Only the fbm posOS() seems to work actually.
I´m not able to make it work even with old betas of the serie 3.8 (this is the strange thing).
Can anybody check if fbm noise works correctly for bump or displacement please?
"... nor 0.2 galaxys, nor 0.8 little chikens ..."

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: ISL fbm don´t work

Post by Oscar J » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:15 am

Strange - I successfully used fbm bump for the coating of my carpaint material: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/dow ... &mode=view

I used Indigo 3.8.25 for that.

yonosoy

Post by yonosoy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:21 am

Hi Oscar.
PosOS() works fine and is the one you use for the orange peel of the carpaint (what a beautiful material).
Fbm, fbm01 and fbm3Valued seems don´t work here.
Could you just try it please?
Thanks for the quick reply.
"... nor 0.2 galaxys, nor 0.8 little chikens ..."

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:27 am

I think this was intended behavior - something about how bump and displacement shaders alter the absolute position of the object surface, which can produce a loop of sorts, and so the shader can't evaluate it properly. it works with posOS(), as you mention, but why that works is above my paygrade.

I have been digging into ISL a lot lately and I still find it confusing which functions are allowed for which channels and shaders. I was trying to do a blend material recently with meanCurvature(), I believe, and while it didn't give me an error, it didn't blend as I expected. there was basically no relationship to the black and white shading you get when using meanCurvature() as an albedo shader.

this stuff is probably clearly defined in the manual, but I have yet to fully grasp it. maybe some simple guidelines of what's allowed or restricted for ISL in certain channels would be a help.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:23 am

yonosoy wrote:Hi Oscar.
PosOS() works fine and is the one you use for the orange peel of the carpaint (what a beautiful material).
Fbm, fbm01 and fbm3Valued seems don´t work here.
Could you just try it please?
Thanks for the quick reply.
Ah, pardon me. And thanks! :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:40 am

FakeShamus wrote:I think this was intended behavior - something about how bump and displacement shaders alter the absolute position of the object surface, which can produce a loop of sorts, and so the shader can't evaluate it properly. it works with posOS(), as you mention, but why that works is above my paygrade.

I have been digging into ISL a lot lately and I still find it confusing which functions are allowed for which channels and shaders. I was trying to do a blend material recently with meanCurvature(), I believe, and while it didn't give me an error, it didn't blend as I expected. there was basically no relationship to the black and white shading you get when using meanCurvature() as an albedo shader.

this stuff is probably clearly defined in the manual, but I have yet to fully grasp it. maybe some simple guidelines of what's allowed or restricted for ISL in certain channels would be a help.
I have bumped into similar caveheats and this is about polishing once beta features I'm sure.
I happen to have requested the option to have the shading evaluated either before of after displacement, if that allows for pos(). We (I) need (want) pos() allowed everywhere !
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:33 am

I experienced a partially black albedo shader just yesterday, the bottom of the render sphere was showing black (it's not uncommon when developing shaders). I'll take notice of the circumstances next time and report.

edit: actually it's illustrated here. Probably happens when very high pos/tex frequencies are involved.
obsolete asset

7 posts • Page 1 of 1