Refine the image where the cursor is

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
MRoz

Refine the image where the cursor is

Post by MRoz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:37 am

Hi everyone!

I was thinking about a feature, I don't know if it's hard to implement...
It's based on what Modo has done, like move your cursor where you want the image to be refined more!

Would be really cool!

Cheers,

Maxime
Cindigo user, my portfolio.
Facebook

riley1389

Re: Refine the image where the cursor is

Post by riley1389 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:18 am

Hi there!

From my basic understanding of how Indigo functions, that isn't really possible. Indigo creates the image by calculating how rays of light interact with the different materials that they intersect with. But light isn't something that acts in a linear fashion. Light spreads in all directions, and then we see different color depending on how fast any given ray of light is vibrating (i.e. frequency). So for example; when see the color blue when light is moving at a speed that's at the higher end of the visible frequency spectrum, and red is toward the lower end. But since the rays from the original light source(s) have to bounce off of different materials, that can, in some circumstances, change the original frequency, thereby leading to a different color.

The other reason is how Indigo seems to handle the rendering. This is purely assumption based on observation, but I think that instead of just rendering the light ray to its finest detail as it disperses outward. It begins with a very rough approximation of all the light rays in the scene, and then starts refining them all as they interact with each other. So a good way to put that into perspective might be, say, to think of it as like the spray nozzle on a garden hose when washing your car. Indigo would be able to grant your request if it performed the former of the two, and I would describe it would be as If the nozzle is turned in one direction, the water stream is very concentrated and strong, but covers only a small amount of the car's surface. However, the way that Indigo actually seems to work would be, the latter of the two, would be if you turned the nozzle the other way and the water became less concentrated, but covered a much larger portion of the cars body. I hope that makes some sense!

And if I'm wrong, please somebody let me know! (:

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Modo renders in (small) buckets, this "Progressive Refinement Rendering Enhancement" it is capable of simply focuses the rendering on buckets the cursor moves over: You paint Quality ^^

This is quite a special way of doing "Region Rendering", but in my opinion quite useless for Indigo because of the long rendertimes you also would need to move many miles with your cursor around on the image :lol:

Afaik bucket rendering is no problem with PT, but because of the way BiDir works not usable for it!

At the moment Indigo only supports pure region rendering, where only a rectangle selection of an image gets rendered
(Start a render > View > Selection Tool > do Selection > Stop Render > Start render again)
I hope this mechanic at some point evolves into the possibility to do a selection of a rendering and focus rays there, so noisy areas of big res images can be cleaned up :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:32 pm

riley1389 wrote:I hope this mechanic at some point evolves into the possibility to do a selection of a rendering and focus rays there, so noisy areas of big res images can be cleaned up
+1 :!:

4 posts • Page 1 of 1