[req(real this time)] installer

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
oodmb

[req(real this time)] installer

Post by oodmb » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:32 pm

to expand on exporters with ease, it might be usefull to set up auto installers for indigo that set an environment path registry edit like yafray, gelato, and a couple other renderman renderers do. i have worked with a number of renderers and thoes that have exporters that call the renderer usualy set up some type of registry edit. this might alliviate many of the problems users have with spaces in the file names on windows systems as well as setting up a material preview scene. also, with an installer, many might find it easier to organize there systems. an installer might make setting up a ui for indigo easier as well.

along with the request for an installer, i would like to request a seperate more biased version of indigo for use rendering material preview scenes where speed is more necessary than quality. a more biased version should still be based on the same code as indigo, just containing some methods of approximation.
a shiny monkey is a happy monkey

m1j

Post by m1j » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:05 am

This might be good for most prople but I generally do not like programs that touch the system. I like being able to put indigo on a usb drive and take it to any computer I want and render. Not all of the systems I use needs indigo "installed". For those that need it it is a good idea but I hope indigo continues not to require being installed.

joegiampaoli

Post by joegiampaoli » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:37 am

This could also break the usage in linux, since installers sometimes just don't work under wine... :shock:

And m1j is right about porting indigo in an USB around with you....

Besides it's not so hard, I mean, have you seen other scripts or plugins for lightwave or 3Dstudio MAX, I think they are more of a hassle, to install...I mean, "Copy the script to your scripts folder, fire up lightwave modeler, now click on this button, then do this, now do that, and afer that do this, and then that..." :roll:
Joe Giampaoli
Never tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope
My Indigo Gallery

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:49 am

Well, I second joegiampaoli and m1j :)

Edit: politician is a hard job (to seduce and convince, isn't it :lol: )

Friendly said ;)

Wow, one line one smiley :shock:

Ooops :oops:

aargh ! :x

:arrow: S:PZ :arrow:

oodmb

Post by oodmb » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:58 am

having a build with an installer will not prevent ono from having zip builds and linux builds and mac builds. if users are advanced enough to use a usb for networking then they realy wouldnt have a need for the installer anyway. the installer is something that would make it easy for users new to indigo or for running indigo straight out of a program with a script. having an installer might elimante some of the hassle of script installation you mentioned. when writing exporters for windows, it seems that the fact that there are spaces in many of the major files causes problems. an installer for windows might help take away some of those problems by setting a standard, such as putting indigo in the program files and putting icons on the desktop.

i might also add that blender has an installer for windows and there seems to be no trouble running it on linux or installing it on linux, this seems to be the case for most programs. not only that, blender also provides a zip download, so using the installer is optional.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:01 am

having a build with an installer will not prevent ono from having zip builds and linux builds and mac builds.
You're absolutely right IMO. If users have the choice, then there is no reason to worry. Actually I'm supporting the idea, more solutions more happy people !

sorry joegiampaoli and m1j :mrgreen: ;)

Edit: oodmb, have you considered being a politician ? Seriously !

oodmb

Post by oodmb » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:10 am

nah, i'm just going to take over microsoft... and turn it into a good company.

nikolatesla20

Post by nikolatesla20 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:02 pm

hm I agree, it is nice to simply copy Indigo and off to the races.

But also it would be nice to be able to do a "one-click" install on those machines you want to be your slaves.

I could probably write an MSI install in 10minutes, for Indigo, piece of cake.

I like the USB drive idea, but you can only have your usb drive plugged into one computer at a time ;)

-niko

m1j

Post by m1j » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:15 am

I do not mind if there is an installer but I would prefer to have the option of not useing one.

m1j

Post by m1j » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:19 am

I do not mind if there is an installer but I would prefer to have the option of not useing one.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:06 am

as long, as it's that simple, I don't think, Indigo would need an installer... But it would be good, if the problem with folders, that have to be hand-setuped would be compensed...
(It's nearly gone in 0.7.5, as far as I know... But I think, you have to make some dirs by hand, none the less...)

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:20 am

What dirs exactly? I have done no new directories under my Indigo folder. None. Everything is like it was in zip file. Am i missing something?

Suvakas

joegiampaoli

Post by joegiampaoli » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:58 am

me too, all I do is copy my xmls and textures and then render away....
Joe Giampaoli
Never tie a ship to a single anchor, nor life to a single hope
My Indigo Gallery

oodmb

Post by oodmb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am

well, setting up your file system how you want it is not the problem an installer would solve. the whole idea of an installer would be to make the installation paths standerdized so that exporter writers can make assumptions about system paths, and the exporter will work even if there is a space in the file name.

Also, when you look at this issue, think about the fact that not all users of indigo are as advanced or technicaly inclined as yourself. While you may not need an installer, an installer brings a sense of security, proffesionality, and ease that a zip file does not. when a beginer downloads indigo for the first time, even though it is fairly simple compared to other systems like it, the mix of xml files and raw comand line style apps can scare somebody into giving up imediatly. think about how much easeir it would be for these people if they could download indigo, download there exporter, and go.

also, even if indigo did have an installer, i think, but am not 100% sure, that winzip or winrar can open it just like a zip file, so that even if a zip was not realeased, you could use it like a zip. Furthurmore, once you have installed it, whats preventing you from changing the installation directory or moving the files after its installed?

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:10 pm

oodmb wrote: the whole idea of an installer would be to make the installation paths standerdized so that exporter writers can make assumptions about system paths, and the exporter will work even if there is a space in the file name.
That sounds more like a poorly written exporter than missing Indigo feature.

Suvakas

16 posts