Page 1 of 1

LSD Caustics....

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:18 pm
by joegiampaoli
Ok I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, still foolin' around with this boring scene but wanted to test it out with 0.7t5 and I am getting some pretty strange results with my water...

Image


This is what I'm using in water:

Code: Select all

	<medium>
		<name>Water.scatter</name>
		<precedence>10</precedence>

      <basic>
            <ior>1.33</ior>
            <cauchy_b_coeff>0.0</cauchy_b_coeff>
            <absorption_coefficient_spectrum> 
            <rgb> 
                  <rgb>0.0 0.0 0.0</rgb> 
            </rgb> 
            </absorption_coefficient_spectrum> 
      </basic>
	</medium>

	<material>
		<name>Water</name>

		<specular>
			<transparent>true</transparent>
			<internal_medium_name>Water.scatter</internal_medium_name>
		</specular>
	</material>
Does precedence have something to do with this? :?

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:49 pm
by joegiampaoli
Ok, I am letting it run a bit longer, so I think it's getting better, I'll post any further problems if they come so.... still I would like to know what precedence really does....

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:07 pm
by joegiampaoli
Well, after 6 and 1/2 hours of rendering it did kinda get better, but still some strange colors in caustics, and some appear in places where I believe they shouldn't be..., I dont know what I'm doing wrong :cry:

One thing though, the rendering is much cleaner than last version (0.6)...

Image

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:18 pm
by manitwo
Hi joe

I think these caustic-fireflies (if that is the right name) will go away with time.
When bidir will be re-enabled maybe this will help in this case too. (just guessing)

An option to turn off caustics would also be great cause i think this scene dont really benfit from them.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:18 pm
by OnoSendai
It's just noise.. it's a little more coloured because i changed the spectral sampling code a little.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:22 pm
by joegiampaoli
AH!!!
Ok Ono, just never seen noise like that.... I was going out of my mind changing settings trying to figure this out, now that you say it will go away with time...then, "So Be It"
:)

Thx Ono and manitwo!

BTW: what is precedence?

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:43 pm
by OnoSendai

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:13 am
by joegiampaoli
Ah yes!
The manual, forgot there was an updated one, even in the indigo dir...
:oops: :oops: :oops: