[REQ] Baking to Texture (Lightmap)

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Ali_karimi

[REQ] Baking to Texture (Lightmap)

Post by Ali_karimi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:23 am

Hello there, I am currently working on a Game and would really like to Bake the Light in Indigo to UV Textures.
This would also be very useful for Animations of course.

I have not much knowledge of the Code that would be involved and can imagine it to be quite difficult.

Just thought i would ask if it is even possible.

Cheers,

ior

Re: [REQ] Baking to Texture (Lightmap)

Post by ior » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:11 am

Hi there.

+1

It would be very useful in fly through were the diffuse is only rendered once and in the next frames all the power goes to specular, reflections etc. Maybe this would solve the caustics in the mirror sds problem as well!

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:20 pm

ior wrote:It would be very useful in fly through were the diffuse is only rendered once and in the next frames all the power goes to specular, reflections etc. Maybe this would solve the caustics in the mirror sds problem as well!
For static scenes this would maybe possible, but once a light moves, the diffuse calculations wouldn't fit anymore.

I would rather think of reusing BiDir informations from previous rendered frames in a animation, afaik there is some potential...

But this is actually all totally off topic :oops:
polygonmanufaktur.de

ior

Post by ior » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:06 am

Zom-B wrote:For static scenes this would maybe possible, but once a light moves, the diffuse calculations wouldn't fit anymore.
There can be an analysis of the current and next frame overlap and bake the overlap diffuse in another channel that will be discarded and used as base for areas to shot samples in the next image.
Well, this is not quite so simple.
For moving objects a different channel (image) of entire scene can be baked for each object that moves, were if a sample hits that object the next bounces that came from that path will be saved in that channel, the sample bounces that hit the next frame object place will as well go to that channel in order to be discarded in the next frame but present in this frame. In the next frame the samples will try to hit more times the void made by the previous frame object and the object in the next frame because that are the areas that are different to the previous frame. So in the next frame we discard the channel of the samples that hit the moving object and that hit the void left by the moving object. The rest of the samples are equal.

For moving lights only thin lines can be equal in two subsequent frames so I think no go, but if it is the sun we can save the intersection.

I can Imagine something similar in indigo 20, or maybe not so far...
Zom-B wrote:But this is actually all totally off topic :oops:
Yes this is off topic, but I couldn't resist. :mrgreen: :wink:

4 posts • Page 1 of 1