[REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
User avatar
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100
Posts: 1997
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am
Location: Limburg/Lahn, Germany
Contact:

[REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by zeitmeister » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 am

Hey Ono,
just coming up again with an old request... :mrgreen:
Cheers, David



DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.2.23 | Indigo for C4D 4.2.22 | C4D R14.042 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4642
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by Zom-B » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:48 am

Now maybe even easier to realize since we have some proper alpha rendering mode?!
Last edited by Zom-B on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 am

How is this shadow catcher hack supposed to work again?

User avatar
vis4arch
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:24 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by vis4arch » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:27 am

+1

Best for photo montage renderings.
all the best,
tamas

berg8 - werbeagentur

. design . web . marketing .

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4642
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by Zom-B » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:27 am

It should be a tag or material for a (free to define) ground mesh that only gets "colored" by shadow rays.
Actually its the renderpass "shadows" for that object only or so...
Last edited by Zom-B on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100
Posts: 1997
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am
Location: Limburg/Lahn, Germany
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by zeitmeister » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:45 am

Yip.
Cheers, David



DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.2.23 | Indigo for C4D 4.2.22 | C4D R14.042 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

User avatar
galinette
1st Place Winner
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 am
Location: Nantes, France
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by galinette » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:28 am

OnoSendai wrote:How is this shadow catcher hack supposed to work again?
This would be a full shadow pass mode associated with a shadow material.

If the second eye vertex (first being camera) is not hitting a shadow material -> render white
If this is a shadow material -> render the resulting radiance divided by shadow material albedo.

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:40 am

galinette wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:How is this shadow catcher hack supposed to work again?
This would be a full shadow pass mode associated with a shadow material.

If the second eye vertex (first being camera) is not hitting a shadow material -> render white
If this is a shadow material -> render the resulting radiance divided by shadow material albedo.

Etienne
That could work somewhat. Would only really make sense for Lambertian shadow material.
Also I don't know if the workflow is good as you would have to render out a separate shadow pass and composite together.

User avatar
galinette
1st Place Winner
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 am
Location: Nantes, France
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by galinette » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:31 am

OnoSendai wrote:That could work somewhat. Would only really make sense for Lambertian shadow material.
Yup, forgot to tell that
OnoSendai wrote:Also I don't know if the workflow is good as you would have to render out a separate shadow pass and composite together.
I thought this was the request. There are other 1-pass solutions with envmaps, but it's very impratical for unbiased renderers.
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:32 am

galinette wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:That could work somewhat. Would only really make sense for Lambertian shadow material.
Yup, forgot to tell that
OnoSendai wrote:Also I don't know if the workflow is good as you would have to render out a separate shadow pass and composite together.
I thought this was the request. There are other 1-pass solutions with envmaps, but it's very impratical for unbiased renderers.
I will try an approach something like this. Basically I will define the 'unshadow fraction' to be something like reflected occluded luminance divided by reflected unoccluded luminance.

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 am

teapot under Uffizi probe
Attachments
teapot_uffizi.png

User avatar
zeitmeister
2nd Place 100
Posts: 1997
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am
Location: Limburg/Lahn, Germany
Contact:

[REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by zeitmeister » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 am

It would be great as a pass, for sure.
But it would also help a lot as a shader!
Imagine just placing your model in front of a backplate and assign that shadow material to a floor... ready.
I really would appreciate that option!
Cheers, David



DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.2.23 | Indigo for C4D 4.2.22 | C4D R14.042 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:13 am

zeitmeister wrote:It would be great as a pass, for sure.
But it would also help a lot as a shader!
Imagine just placing your model in front of a backplate and assign that shadow material to a floor... ready.
I really would appreciate that option!
Why did you have to wait until I implement it the other way before you say how you want it? sigh.

User avatar
Zom-B
1st Place 100
Posts: 4642
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm
Location: ´'`\_(ò_Ó)_/´'`
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by Zom-B » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:34 am

OnoSendai wrote:Why did you have to wait until I implement it the other way before you say how you want it? sigh.
Just because you are so fast and nobody expected to see some results within days ^^
Another big benefit would be Background replacement via a HiRez image to be done directly in Indigo for fast composition, without doing 1001 renderings in Indigo and putting stuff together in PS...
polygonmanufaktur.de

User avatar
OnoSendai
Developer
Posts: 6179
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Contact:

Re: [REQ] Shadow Catcher material...

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:36 am

Zom-B wrote:
OnoSendai wrote: Another big benefit would be Background replacement via a HiRez image to be done directly in Indigo for fast composition, without doing 1001 renderings in Indigo and putting stuff together in PS...
This can be done with a background plate in the scene directly right?

Post Reply
69 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests