Blackbody spectrum as a color ((a)gain)

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
CTZn

Blackbody spectrum as a color ((a)gain)

Post by CTZn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:05 am

Early was it possible to assign a blackbody spectrum to a color parameter, and that provided us with the ability to generate a wide variety of tinted whites.

This doesn't work anymore, it seems like the blackbody is forced to match the camera's white point. Could we get that feature back please ?
Last edited by CTZn on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
obsolete asset

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Blackbody spectrum as a color (again)

Post by fused » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 pm

CTZn wrote:Early was it possible to assign a blackbody spectrum to a color parameter, and that provided us with the ability to generate a wide variety of tinted whites.

This doesn't work anymore, it seems like the blackbody is forced to match the camera's white point. Could we get that feature back please ?
Hi Adam,

not sure what you mean exactly.

Something like this was (and still is) possible with base emission and emission, but I can't recall anything else like that.

Cheers!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:42 am

I think that the feature was removed with or just before Indigo 2.0, not much later anyhow. The blackbody gain was ignored, but the temperature changes were reflected in the albedo.

In fact, the possibility was never mentioned so it had to fade away at some point :?
obsolete asset

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:58 am

CTZn wrote:I think that the feature was removed with or just before Indigo 2.0, not much later anyhow. The blackbody gain was ignored, but the temperature changes were reflected in the albedo.

In fact, the possibility was never mentioned so it had to fade away at some point :?
I really can't recall anything like that, sorry :)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:39 am

fused wrote:
CTZn wrote:I think that the feature was removed with or just before Indigo 2.0, not much later anyhow. The blackbody gain was ignored, but the temperature changes were reflected in the albedo.

I really can't recall anything like that, sorry :)
Would you like a blackbody spectrum defining warmer or cooler albedos ? To have. It. Back :)

That's because it was confidential that it faded out I'd bet. Ono must have implemented it then it was removed back then. Reflectors, walls, test scenes, it's a nice way to tweak whites.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:36 am

It just popped to my eyes when I was staring at lape's render: the peeble colour can be brought down to a variation of their albedo as a temperature. Then comes the gain, clamped as should.

http://www.indigorenderer.com/images/we ... =_original
obsolete asset

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:51 am

Just take this and make a wavelength dependant shader:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s_law

Just normalize the law by its maximum value, which is quite easy to approximate (wavelength at maximum is proportionnal to temperature, formulas can be found somewhere)
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:54 am

By the way, I don't even think a shader is necessary. You can use a blackbody as an albedo spectrum in igs code. It's not normalized, so you have to normalize by setting the gain to the appropriate value

Other way, is calculating the white point x/y from temperature (the formulas are easy to find) and convert to XYZ then RGB

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 am

galinette wrote:Just take this and make a wavelength dependant shader:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s_law
Can not read maths, thanks. May not want to.
galinette wrote:By the way, I don't even think a shader is necessary. You can use a blackbody as an albedo spectrum in igs code. It's not normalized, so you have to normalize by setting the gain to the appropriate value
Ah this is it, the gain was normalised for albedi back then.
galinette wrote:Other way, is calculating the white point x/y from temperature (the formulas are easy to find) and convert to XYZ then RGB
I've got one in python around.
galinette wrote:Etienne
Thank you !
obsolete asset

9 posts • Page 1 of 1