[req] Calibrating the scene

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

[req] Calibrating the scene

Post by pixie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:44 am

In photography one can calibrate any given photography by aiming a Gray Card. It would be nice to have some sort of equivalence, namely when in some caes is known the original values, so one didn't need to aim at a specific value, but at a given known value from the scene.
Last edited by pixie on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

tremo

Re: [req] Calibrating the scene

Post by tremo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:28 am

I like to pick the white point on an RGB gray material. Do you mean this?
Attachments
50.jpg
100.jpg
120.jpg

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 am

tremo wrote:I like to pick the white point on an RGB gray material. Do you mean this?
It's somehow akin to it but regarding exposure. See bellow.
exposure.jpg
The top is over exposed, bellow it's the correct exposition.
The concept is akin to http://vimeo.com/49677472, but instead of doing it manually, indigo might do it internally, searching for a correct exposure. I do it by tweaking the exposure until the image reaches the rgb of the material.

tremo

Post by tremo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:03 pm

I look at the histogram. In the first case, the right wall in the visible region (220-245 RGB). By the second case, the wall is overexposed. That depends on what you want to show. The lights or the shadows.
Attachments
300.jpg
301.jpg

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:07 am

pixie wrote:In photography one can calibrate any given photography by aiming a Gray Card. It would be nice to have some sort of equivalence, namely when in some caes is known the original values, so one didn't need to aim at a specific value, but at a given known value from the scene.
So you would like to click to an arbitrary object in the scene, and that the resulting exposure does not depend directly on the albedo of this object, so that you do not need to insert a standard gray (albedo=0.18) in your scene?

In that case, the process would be:
- The user clicks somewhere in the image
- Indigo computes the luminance of this point, either from image values, or by sending a bunch of rays
- Indigo gets the corresponding geometry point and its albedo from material properties
- Indigo finds the proper tonemapper gain parameter so that the resulting pixel value brightness is equal to the material albedo. This way a 18% gray card will look 18% bright, and a 64% gray material will look 64% bright.

NB : I'm talking here of power-linear brightness values. For converting to sRGB values, you need to raise them to a power of 0.45)
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:56 am

galinette wrote: So you would like to click to an arbitrary object in the scene, and that the resulting exposure does not depend directly on the albedo of this object, so that you do not need to insert a standard gray (albedo=0.18) in your scene?
You pretty much nailed it! :)

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:51 am

I would take this a little further and suggest something like a photoshop "levels" capability to the histogram, adding white, mid and black point pickers, which would allow you to set custom values for each and then clicking within your image would recalibrate the exposure at those points.

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:13 am

FakeShamus wrote:I would take this a little further and suggest something like a photoshop "levels" capability to the histogram, adding white, mid and black point pickers, which would allow you to set custom values for each and then clicking within your image would recalibrate the exposure at those points.
I saw what you did there, taking advantage of the full 32 gammut and beyond! :D

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:41 pm

pixie wrote:
FakeShamus wrote:I would take this a little further and suggest something like a photoshop "levels" capability to the histogram, adding white, mid and black point pickers, which would allow you to set custom values for each and then clicking within your image would recalibrate the exposure at those points.
I saw what you did there, taking advantage of the full 32 gammut and beyond! :D
I'm quite uneducated regarding those imaging thingies, hence my question: are those propositions assimilable to new tonemapping techniques or am I mixing things up here ?
obsolete asset

9 posts • Page 1 of 1