[REQ] Complex Materials

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

[REQ] Complex Materials

Post by pixie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:21 pm

It would be nice to have a 'not so cumbersome way' to deal with complex materials. Such a powerful system deserve a better way to fine tuning them, without having to do a myriad of steps just to add two materials, let alone when you add multiple others. Perhaps a tree like system, where you can keep adding material types but showing only one.

wlf_alex

Re: [REQ] Complex Materials

Post by wlf_alex » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 pm

+10
ArchiCAD 14, Cinema 4D r13, IndigoRender, VrayforC4D

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:34 pm

Hmm for people that use simple exporter applications that lack decent material editing functions it would be useful though I think time is better spent getting exporters to harness the power of the material editors built into the 3D applications.
Last edited by ENSLAVER on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Pardon me pixie, are you referring to the blend material in Indigo's GUI ? "Complex materials" is perhaps a C4D/Cindigo expression ?

Just to clarify, the "what" and the "where" are unclear to me...

Also and as an example, the Maya to Indigo exporter uses Maya's native "blend" material wich allows to stack an arbitrary number of materials each coming with its own transparency "blend" map. You'd like something akin in Indigo's GUI, is it ?
obsolete asset

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:52 am

ENSLAVER wrote:Hmm for people that use simple exporter applications that lack decent material editing functions it would be useful though I think time is better spent getting exporters to harness the power of the material editors built into the 3D applications.
The thing is, Indigo now is somehow a studio so it should at least be on front allowing you to do the most of it. I'll give you an example, when Cull Geometry was added to Section Plane Cinema 4D didn't support it, still I was able to use it. In the present Cinema 4D haven't the best of options regarding complex materials (blended), but it make things even worse that in indigo front things are actually worse. At least if in indigo front they behaved nicely, one could wait until the export to keep on par, it could load the blended materials and rearrange in a meaningful way instead of splattering them all over.
CTZN wrote:Pardon me pixie, are you referring to the blend material in Indigo's GUI ? "Complex materials" is perhaps a C4D/Cindigo expression ?
Yes, actually the complex materials term has nothing to do with Cinema 4D, I just coined it up, because in opposition with a simple material, if you have multiple blended materials the complexity add up, let's say we have 4 blended materials, one needs to have 7 actual separate simple materials, 3 blended materials, and 4 desired ones, all splattered all over, messing with normal ones in material list. For me it's messy, but I have my own shortcomings, I'll give you that, I may not as well be as bright as some here. :)

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 am

Hi Pixie,
Presumably it would be an improvement for you if blend materials were shown in a tree layout in the scene editor?

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:19 am

OnoSendai wrote:Hi Pixie,
Presumably it would be an improvement for you if blend materials were shown in a tree layout in the scene editor?
It would be awesome! :D

7 posts • Page 1 of 1