XMAS 2012 wishlist

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
CTZn

Re: XMAS 2012 wishlist

Post by CTZn » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Decade wrote:I'd love to see the Realtime Editing mode come to the plugins, in particular indigo for cinema 4d, just for the selfish reason that's the one I use.
Even if it was in a seperate window not the viewport, that would be a good start.
Hi Decade, this is a global priority to the company, there is no point in adding this to the list since we won't forget about it :)
obsolete asset

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:16 am

Here something for the Material Preview Szene:
- Get rid of the DOF Blur for faster rendering and set WhitePoint to F7 since E tends to tint the image greenish
polygonmanufaktur.de

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:50 am

FakeShamus wrote:I've also been thinking, until there's full back and forth integration with the modeling programs, it could be nice to have the option to export a camera file, too. I sometimes tweak the camera settings while a test is rendering and it's tricky to get exactly the same thing back in Blender.
Still I am seeing this as an exporter feature: load back camera settings from IGS.
FakeShamus wrote:also, what happened to being able to adjust sun position and settings? I remember being able to do that before.
Can you or a Mac user please confirm that the Sun/Sky controls are missing ?
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:59 am

ENSLAVER wrote:
zeitmeister wrote:... and a simple control slider to rotate a background IBL.
:-)
Boom!

What about the option to choose the IBL in the GUI, that would be awesome (with the rotate controls) :D
The material used in the background settings should be available in the Scene outliner, along with its Emission parameter (wich should be an EXR in that case).
obsolete asset

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:30 am

CTZn wrote:
FakeShamus wrote:I've also been thinking, until there's full back and forth integration with the modeling programs, it could be nice to have the option to export a camera file, too. I sometimes tweak the camera settings while a test is rendering and it's tricky to get exactly the same thing back in Blender.
Still I am seeing this as an exporter feature: load back camera settings from IGS.
I could see it working like that, although it means saving out the entire scene from Indigo. I feel like being able to just link an external camera file from Blendigo would be kind of nice...
CTZn wrote:
FakeShamus wrote:also, what happened to being able to adjust sun position and settings? I remember being able to do that before.
Can you or a Mac user please confirm that the Sun/Sky controls are missing ?
just did a quick test, and this looks like a Blendigo problem - when I export a scene with sun/sky now it doesn't give me the settings to tweak in Indigo, instead I get "Background settings" in the "scene" window with no options to adjust. a scene exported with Blendigo 3.2.3, however, opens correctly and shows the sun/sky options.

the igs from 3.2.3 looks like this:

Code: Select all

<skylight>
		<sundir>
			0.5663931965827942 0.21839120984077454 0.7946723103523254
		</sundir>
		<model>
			captured-simulation
		</model>
		<turbidity>
		</turbidity>
		<extra_atmospheric>
			false
		</extra_atmospheric>
	</skylight>
and in 3.2.14.1:

Code: Select all

<background_settings>
		<background_material>
			<material>
				<sunsky>
					<sundir>
						0.5663931965827942 0.21839120984077454 0.7946723103523254
					</sundir>
					<model>
						captured-simulation
					</model>
					<turbidity>
					</turbidity>
					<extra_atmospheric>
						false
					</extra_atmospheric>
				</sunsky>
				<name>
					Lamp
				</name>
			</material>
		</background_material>
	</background_settings>

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:35 am

Paradoxically the method used by blendigo 3.2.14.1 is newer; the UI is lacking for it.

Really you nailed the snake down if I may say: Indigo has an API that should ideally render all UI conderns futile, since an API is the tool to bridge Indigo into the host application.

But fair enough. One of the first option I added to MtI was to print the Maya camera to XML for copy-pasting, I got your point.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:47 am

Look fakeShamus, you find a way to formulate that non-API-Indigo-camera-to-host-app and I'll add it.

I found myself confused with it when trying :lol:

Seriously, Indigo is fast at writing a scene and most exporters can seek XML files wisely, I do feel like it doesn't fit as an Indigo request, though I do understand the need. It's a need for integration, clearly.

Edit: I am pretty sure that Cindigo offers a good integration level already. Otherwise I must humbly admit that I know little about exporters.
obsolete asset

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:12 pm

I was just thinking of it in the context of saving out materials that you've adjusted through the Indigo UI.
in the same way that you save out a tweaked material and then go back in Blendigo and set it to "external", you would do the same thing with a camera. allow Indigo to export an igs with just the camera data, "whateveryourscenenameis_cam.igs" and then give Blendigo a check box where you can set your camera to "external" with the file path. syntax-wise it works exactly the same as an external material.

clearly that's a temp solution if total integration is the eventual plan (and not super important compared to other stuff on the list here ;)) but more easily done, perhaps?

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:38 pm

FakeShamus wrote:I was just thinking of it in the context of saving out materials that you've adjusted through the Indigo UI.
in the same way that you save out a tweaked material and then go back in Blendigo and set it to "external", you would do the same thing with a camera. allow Indigo to export an igs with just the camera data, "whateveryourscenenameis_cam.igs" and then give Blendigo a check box where you can set your camera to "external" with the file path. syntax-wise it works exactly the same as an external material.

clearly that's a temp solution if total integration is the eventual plan (and not super important compared to other stuff on the list here ;)) but more easily done, perhaps?
I posted something similar a while ago but I let it die. You're right when you say that integration will make it pretty much useless. Destination integration, full speed ahead!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks for the precision FakeShamus, I understand now the way you want it.

I'm not to decide wether it will be implemented but I'm noting it down.

edit: I am removing the file menu issue on Mac for two good reasons: it's a bug, and I had it logged into our bugtracker before this very thread existed.
obsolete asset

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:12 pm

polygonmanufaktur.de

Stromberg

Post by Stromberg » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:16 am

A proper 3ds max plugin, before I trow money into buying indigo :)

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:41 am

Another thing to add in the wishlist; double-sided materials and invisible lights.

Probably won't happen though... :cry:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 am

I added double sided materials to the tracker one year ago, let's bump it :)

ISL: flipped normal
Description

A function wich returns a bool, wether the point being shaded is on a side with flipped normals or not.

In a blend parameter it would allow to have different materials on each side, for leaves and money for instance.
Invisible lights ? Well it's so popular that it will be noted but heh, that's Indigo we are talking about...

edit: but for some reason I am hoping that research on volumetric emission might be a key point toward this popular feature.
:?:
obsolete asset

vis4arch

Post by vis4arch » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi Indigo Team!

first of all, thanks for you work and a great rendering engine!

so, how about the following:

- multi GPU support
- not only path mode for GPU rendering / don't know if its possible
- tighter integration into blender
- from blender or from GUI upload possibilities to Ranch Renderfarm.
all the best,
tamas

berg8 - werbeagentur

. design . web . marketing .

31 posts